SAN FRANCISCO, April 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Green Spa Network announces the launch of the first ever "GSN Plastic Reduction Challenge" -- an 11-month campaign conducted in partnership with Plastic Pollution Coalition – where awards will be given in seven different categories to winners from day, resort & destination spas as well as spa product companies.
The objective of the contest is to reduce usage of disposable plastic – like plastic bags and bottles, food & beverage items, product packaging, shipping supplies, etc.
"Plastic is a material that the earth cannot digest. Every bit of plastic ever made is still here with us. Disposable plastics are the greatest contributor to plastic pollution," explains Daniella Russo, Co-founder and Executive Director of Plastic Pollution Coalition. "They are a danger to the earth and to humans on it due to the toxic chemicals leaching out of them. The only way to address this problem is by eliminating disposable plastics from our lives."
Awards will be announced on Earth Day 2013 in the following categories:
- Most Innovative Solution
- Biggest Impact - for size of a facility
- Most comprehensive - by number of categories, including employee plastic usage.
- Local Impact – within state
- Global Impact
- Alternative Product Packaging
- Plastic Reduction Pioneers
"This effort underscores the very purpose of GSN's existence," explains GSN President and Rancho La Puerta Spa Managing Director, Roberto Arjona. "It's our responsibility to take a leadership role with proactive measures that promote the health and wellbeing of not only our fellow humans, but also the planet we all share."
Required Steps for Participants:
- Audit of current plastic usage
- Planned replacement of items
- Measurement of savings
- Tracking progress and reporting: via social media
- Fill out Plastic Reduction Challenge Form provided on GSN Website
- Submit final program materials to GSN approved Panel of Judges by March 20, 2013
GSN Suggested Alternatives to Disposable Plastic:
- Stainless steel or glass water bottles
- Water filtration systems to eliminate single-use bottles
- Stainless steel cups & straws
- Reusable utensils, dishes & cups
- Reusable bags – including dry cleaning bags
- Recycled post-consumer waste, paper or glass packaging
Spas and product companies are invited to register at: www.greenspanetwork.org
SOURCE Green Spa Network