SAN ANTONIO, Jan. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- San Antonio Sports is a nonprofit organization committed to transforming the community through the power of sport. In an effort to demonstrate the benefits of youth sports participation, San Antonio Sports has launched the "Power of Sport" campaign, which includes groundbreaking research that illustrates the influence of sports on a child's development and future career success.
According to the recent San Antonio Sports online survey, by Core Research Inc., consisting of 325 business and opinion leaders in the San Antonio metro area:
- Most business leaders played sports in their youth, and support youth sport programs.
- 62 percent of business leaders (owners and C-suite executives) played sports in their youth.
- 76 percent have supported youth sports as a donor, volunteer, coach or parent.
- The survey sample represents a wide range of business leaders:
- 71 percent owners, C-suite executives (29 percent directors, VPs and other management)
- 59 percent men (41 percent women)
- 79 percent 35+ years old (45 percent 35-50 years old)
- 55 percent companies with less than 50 employees (45 percent 50+ employees)
- Sports can make the difference between success and failure.
- 95 percent affirmed that participating in sports and athletics at an early age can make a positive difference in a child's development.
- 57 percent of business leaders attributed their youth sports experiences to their career success.
- Top lessons that business leaders learned from playing sports are:
- Ambition and motivation
- Appreciating physical health
- Discipline and structure
"San Antonio executives in this study represent the wide range of business leaders across industries in metro areas, and most in this large representative sample told us that youth sports provided fundamental skills for their success," said Susan Korbel, PhD and owner of Core Research, Inc.
The research supports other key findings including:
- A 2013 EY global online survey of 821 senior managers and executives, of whom 44 percent were female, revealed 90 percent of women sampled played sports either at a primary, secondary or collegiate level. Among those in a C-suite position, the proportion rose to 96 percent.
- According to Fortune, "participation in competitive youth sports 'spills over' to occupationally advantageous traits that persist across a person's life."
- Additionally, 75 percent of executives said that an applicant's background in sports positively influenced their hiring decisions.
- The Novak Djokovic Foundation finds that sports are a powerful tool that can break down all barriers and are beneficial to children in many ways. "By playing sports, children form character and moral principles, enables them to create friendships, promotes teamwork and helps build positive self-esteem."
"San Antonio Sports' research is important because it solidifies the belief that playing youth sports can help children cultivate essential life skills like camaraderie, discipline and drive," said Russ Bookbinder, president and CEO of San Antonio Sports. "Through the 'Power of Sport' campaign, we're committed to coaching kids into life champions and building awareness for the positive aspects of youth sports as well as its ability to shape future business leaders."
In addition to conducting research, San Antonio Sports' "Power of Sport" campaign is designed to expand its i play! afterschool program for underserved children in San Antonio and has partnered with renowned business leaders to highlight how sports made a difference in their lives. Throughout 2019, leaders will share their personal success stories and ways in which sports helped build a foundation for their careers.
Featured business and community leaders include Bruce Bowen, April Ancira, Angie Salinas, Rosemary Kowalski, Rad Weaver, Max Lucado, Randy Smith, Bill Avila, Olga Custodio, Jeff Brown, Bill Greehey, Vince Fertitta, Shantel Wilkins, Cyndi Taylor Krier, Harvey Najim, John Likovich, Daryl Johnston and Tyreo Harrison.
For more information about the "Power of Sport" or i play! afterschool and ways you can show your support, please visit SanAntonioSports.org.
About San Antonio Sports
Founded in 1984, San Antonio Sports is a nonprofit sports organization based in San Antonio, Texas. Recognizing the link between healthy bodies and minds, the organization's mission is to transform the community through the power of sport, encouraging families to live active lifestyles through programs such as KiDS ROCK, Go!Kids Challenge™, Fit Family Challenge and i play! afterschool. To date, San Antonio Sports has delivered more than $853 million for the local economy through premier events like NCAA Championships and the Rock 'n' Roll San Antonio Marathon. To become a part of the San Antonio Sports team, as a participant, volunteer or member, visit SanAntonioSports.org or call 210-820-2100.
About Core Research, Inc.
For 30 years, Core Research has conducted consumer, voter and viewer research for businesses, performers, sports and civic organizations. Based in San Antonio, Texas, Core Research digs deep to learn what's inside voter, fan, and/or consumer behavior that will help clients achieve their goals. The intersection between IT and knowledge professionals is the logical mind-meld that Core Research provides, facilitating communication between client in-house expertise and external thought leaders. To learn more, visit core-research.biz or call 210-366-4210.
SOURCE San Antonio Sports