WASHINGTON, Oct. 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Harris Corporation (NYSE: HRS), an international communications and information technology company, is participating in National Cybersecurity Awareness Month with public presentations by its cyber thought leaders and a special Website devoted to helping people better understand how to defend themselves against cybersecurity challenges.
"Cyberspace is the engine for much of the U.S. economy," said Dale W. Meyerrose, vice president and general manager, Harris Cyber Integrated Solutions and the former Chief Information Officer for the U.S. Intelligence Community. "I hope that we as a nation take heed of information presented during National Cybersecurity Awareness Month and incorporate best practices now rather than wait for a cyber emergency to occur before we pay attention."
Meyerrose, and other Harris cyber experts will appear before various groups this month to highlight the need to make cyber a national priority, and for cyberspace to become a trusted domain for both private and government sectors. Several events are listed below and a complete listing of events is available on the Harris National Cyber Security Awareness Month spotlight at www.harris.com:
- Oct 13: Participating in the cybersecurity panel at the C4ISR Conference and Awards Banquet at the Ronald Reagan Building in Washington, DC.
- Oct 22: Addressing AFCEA at the Cape Canaveral Annual Banquet in Melbourne, FL.
- Oct 22 –24: Sponsoring the 12th annual cyber security conference "ToorCon" in San Diego and will present on the security of GSM networks.
- Oct. 27: Speaking at the 2010 National Symposium on Homeland Security and Defense at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Presentation is titled: "Are You Solving Today's Cyber Challenges with Yesterday's Concepts?"
- Oct. 28: Addressing Boston's top Chief Information Officers at the 2010 Boston CIO Summit, Westin Boston Waterfront.
- Nov. 4: Speaking at the AFCEA Cyber Symposium in Alamo, Texas discussing the theme of "Cyber Standards, Architecture and Compliance."
In addition to these public events, Harris also is hosting a number of employee events including an application security class, dissemination of the top cybersecurity tips and a cybersecurity poster contest.
National Cybersecurity Awareness Month is sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security. Additional information about the national event is available at: www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1158611596104.shtm
A world leader in cyber, Harris has been using state-of-the-art technology assessment techniques and architecture engineering for decades to define and operate secure networks supporting nationally critical programs. Harris currently supports three of the nation's largest secure networks, including the FAA Telecommunications Infrastructure, the National Reconnaissance Office network, and the Navy Marine Corps Intranet. The company's technology countermeasures and monitoring capabilities proactively safeguard vital information assets supporting the missions of U.S. military, intelligence, transportation and commerce customers.
About Harris Corporation
Harris is an international communications and information technology company serving government and commercial markets in more than 150 countries. Headquartered in Melbourne, Florida, the company has approximately $5 billion of annual revenue and more than 16,000 employees — including nearly 7,000 engineers and scientists. Harris is dedicated to developing best-in-class assured communications® products, systems, and services. Additional information about Harris Corporation is available at www.harris.com.
SOURCE Harris Corporation