SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 22, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Maker Faire, the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth, announced today the program, schedule, and speaker roster for World Maker Faire New York 2017 taking place at the New York Hall of Science in Queens on September 23 and 24, 2017. The Maker Movement's driving forces and premier voices will be on hand to share their insights and experiences from their own maker journeys to enlighten, educate, and inspire attendees.
Five stages this year will host speakers, demos, panels, and interviews on topics such as electronics and circuit board; drones; A.I.; maker education opportunities for the classroom; young makers; health; science; YouTube makers; Make: book authors; and more. The World Maker Faire New York 2017 program, including the schedule and speaker details, can be viewed at: http://makerfaire.com/new-york-2017/schedule/. Highlights include:
- Making It with Jimmy DiResta & Bob Clagett with Jimmy DiResta & Bob Clagett—YouTube and podcast stars, DiResta and Clagett, will share their secrets to making, creating content, and having fun.
- A Maker Revolution in Healthcare with Jose Gomez-Marquez & Anna Young from MakerHealth—This team has been leading the movement for finding and supporting frontline health innovators in hospitals across the country. They will share updates on their work to evaluate and advance, through these frontline innovators, the use of hospital makerspaces, just-in-time training, tools, and more.
- Power of the Plant with Stephen Ritz from Green Bronx Machine—Ritz, urban farmer, educator, and social entrepreneur, will share how incorporating gardening and plants into teaching curriculum moved the graduation rate from 17% to 100% and improved attendance to 93% in his South Bronx high school.
- A.I. in Support of Creative Learning: Where Are We Headed? presented by IBM & NYSCI—Advances in recent years are highlighting the potential for AI and making possible creative new applications. This panel will discuss these advancements, if and how they're informed by limited models of learning and pedagogy, and if we should really expect breakthroughs.
- Hacksmith with James Hobson, creator & host of Hacksmith—Brought to World Maker Faire by Digi-Key, Hobson will define a "hacksmith" and how the tricks of his trade have resulted in new tools, useful parts, or even works of art out of various materials and components.
- Digital Fabrication Shootout Panel hosted by Make: magazine's Executive Editor, Mike Senese—The post-Faire issue of Make: will focus on the latest and greatest in the 3D printing world and this panel of experts will provide a sneak peek at the content.
- How to Build a Better Brain with Dr. Wendy A. Suzuki, Professor of Neural Science & Psychology, NYU—Dr. Suzuki studies how the brain changes in response to the environment. She will share her work about how one of the most powerful ways the brain can change for the better is by increasing regular physical aerobic exercise, detailing what happens to the brain after even a single exercise session as well as with regular exercise.
In addition, Maker Faire and the New York Hall of Science will host a one-day event, the Make: Education Forum, for education professionals. This year's Forum will focus on computational making, rethinking professional development for maker education, and how making is not just about creating a makerspace but creating a maker culture. The Forum is Friday, September 22, 2017 from 10am – 4pm; more details, and tickets, are available at http://makerfaire.com/new-york/education-forum/.
Tickets are on sale now for World Maker Faire New York 2017 at advance pricing at http://makerfaire.com/new-york/buy-tickets/. ($20.00 - $30.00 for a Single Day Pass; $40.00 - $55.00 for a Weekend Pass). Special packages and offers also available; check site for more details. Advance pricing is in effect through Friday, September 22, 2017 at 11:59 pm EDT. Children 2 and under are free. Tickets will be available for purchase on-site at World Maker Faire New York 2017.
About Maker Faire
Maker Faire is the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth—a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness, and celebration of the Maker Movement. It's a place where people of all ages and backgrounds gather together to show what they are making and share what they are learning.
Maker Faire will celebrate 221 Faires in 2017 and will engage more than 1.58 million attendees globally in 45 countries around the world. The 12th annual Maker Faire Bay Area welcomed some 1,200 Makers and 125,000 attendees. World Maker Faire New York, the East Coast flagship event, has grown in seven years to 930+ Makers and 95,000 attendees.
Located in San Francisco, California, Make: has been widely credited with jumpstarting the worldwide Maker Movement, which is a transforming force in innovation, culture, and education. The brands under the Make: umbrella include Maker Faire global events, Make: magazine, Make: books, and Maker Share—a new networking hub to show and share maker projects.
A celebration of DIY culture, World Maker Faire New York 2017 will take place Saturday & Sunday, September 23 & 24, at the New York Hall of Science in Queens, New York. More information about Maker Faire can be found at http://www.makerfaire.com. Save the dates for Maker Faire Bay Area 2018 at the San Mateo Event Center in San Mateo, CA, on Friday-Sunday, May 18-20, 2018. Find a Maker Faire near you at http://makerfaire.com/map. More information about Maker Faire can be found at http://www.makerfaire.com.
Friend us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Twitter: @makerfaire
Tweet this: Ready to Make something? Don't miss World @MakerFaire New York Sept 23 & 24 at @NYSCI! makerfaire.com/new-york/ #MFNY17 #makerfaire
World Maker Faire New York 2017 Sponsors
Presenting Sponsor: Barnes & Noble; Goldsmith: Maker Share, a project by Make: and Intel, ITA; Silversmith: Cognizant, Digi-Key, Dremel, Mimaki.
Media Credential Requests: http://makerfaire.com/media-center/
PRESS QUERIES ONLY
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/healthcare-makerspaces-digital-fabrication-ai-urban-farming-in-schools-and-much-more-scheduled-for-8th-annual-world-maker-faire-new-york-diy-extravaganza-september-23--24-300507514.html
SOURCE Maker Faire