NEW ORLEANS, Dec. 21, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- HealthGrades, the leading independent healthcare ratings organization, has announced that Ochsner Clinic Foundation -- both Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner Medical Center-West Bank Campus -- have been named recipients of the HealthGrades Emergency Medicine Excellence Award™ and HealthGrades Kidney Transplant Excellence Award™. Ochsner is also among the top 5% in the nation for Treatment of Stroke, Overall Pulmonary Services, and GI Medical Treatment.
Nearly 5,000 hospitals across the country were included in the Thirteenth Annual HealthGrades Hospital Quality in America study, the largest annual report of its kind, which analyzed patient outcomes from nearly 40 million Medicare hospitalization records over a three-year period.
Top-performing hospitals had dramatically lower mortality rates than other hospitals, according to the study. For the 17 procedures and diagnoses for which HealthGrades analyzed mortality rates, patients at top hospitals had a 72% lower chance of dying when compared with the lowest-performing hospitals, and a 53% lower chance of dying when compared to the U.S. national average.
HealthGrades Emergency Medicine Excellence Award™
"Using the latest clinical guidelines, with critical thinking, and a committed team of healthcare providers, we were able to achieve patient outcomes that represent the top 5% of all U.S. hospitals," said John Phillips, Medical Director, Emergency Department, Ochsner Medical Center – West Bank Campus. "For all the team members, it boils down to how many lives we saved. As I have said before, save a life and you're a hero; save many lives and you work in the Ochsner West Bank Emergency Department."
HealthGrades Kidney Transplant Excellence Award™
"The HealthGrades award sets us apart not just as a regional best, but as a national best," said Dr. George Loss, Chief of the Ochsner Multi-Organ Transplant Institute. "Regarding transplant, it's important to note that HealthGrades reviews longer term results which are more difficult to achieve. Three year plus results require communication, partnerships and trust between numerous physicians here and in the patient's hometown."
All HealthGrades Awards
In addition to its Specialty Excellence Awards, Ochsner achieved other notable HealthGrades recognitions and awards, including:
- Ranked #1 in Louisiana for Treatment of Stroke in 2011
- Ranked #1 in Louisiana for GI Services in 2011
- Ranked #1 in Louisiana for GI Medical Treatment in 2011
- Ranked # 2 in Louisiana for Overall Pulmonary Services in 2011
- Ranked # 3 in Louisiana for Critical Care in 2011
- Ranked # 3 in Louisiana for Cardiology Services in 2011
- Ranked # 3 in Louisiana for Coronary Interventional Procedures in 2011
- Ranked # 4 in Louisiana for Overall Cardiac Services in 2011
- Ranked in the top 5 in Louisiana for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2011
- Ranked in the top 5 in Louisiana for Joint Replacement in 2011
Additionally, Ochsner Medical Center and Ochsner Medical Center – West Bank Campus achieved 5-Star Ratings in the following areas:
- Emergency Medicine in 2010
- Kidney Transplant in 2010
- Coronary Interventional Procedures (2 years in a row 2010-2011)
- Treatment of Heart Attack (2 years in a row 2010-2011)
- Joint Replacement in 2011
- Total Knee Replacement in 2011
- Treatment of Stroke
- Overall Pulmonary Services (3 years in a row 2009-2011)
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in 2011
- Treatment of Pneumonia (5 years in a row 2007-2011)
- Treatment of GI Bleed (3 years in row 2009-2011)
- Treatment of Pancreatitis (2 years in a row 2010-2011)
- Treatment of Sepsis (2 years in a row 2010-2011)
- Treatment of Respiratory Failure (2 years in a row 2010-2011)
"These awards are a direct reflection of the care we provide to our patients," said Dr. Patrick Quinlan, CEO, Ochsner Health System. "I am extremely grateful for our physicians, nurses and entire staff whose continued dedication have made this designation possible."
More information on the HealthGrades study, including the complete methodology, can be found at www.healthgrades.com.
Ochsner Health System is southeast Louisiana's largest non-profit, academic, multi-specialty, healthcare delivery system with eight hospitals and over 38 health centers in Louisiana. Ochsner has been named the Consumer Choice for Healthcare in New Orleans for 15 consecutive years and is the only Louisiana hospital recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a "Best Hospital" across seven specialty categories. Ochsner employs more than 12,500 employees, over 850 physicians in over 90 medical specialties and subspecialties and conducts over 300 clinical research trials annually. For more information, please visit ochsner.org and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
SOURCE Ochsner Health System