PALM SPRINGS, Calif., Nov. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr. Gundry, world-renowned cardiologist, nutrition expert and author, reveals his strategy for healthy eating during the holidays.
This heart-healthy nutrition plan was first revealed in his 2008 best-selling book, "Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes that Are Killing You & Your Waistline". Before treating patients via nutrition, he performed thousands of successful pediatric and adult heart transplants and developed life-saving medical technology, mostly at Loma Linda University.
But, everything changed when he met an inoperable patient who drastically improved his condition by changing his diet and taking supplements. Dr. Gundry, not a diet or supplement proponent, was determined to find out how this miraculous turnaround happened.
He turned this research on himself first. Despite being mostly a vegetarian eater, a marathoner and a religious gym goer, Gundry was 70 pounds overweight and had high cholesterol and arthritis.
In the first year of changing his diet, he lost 50 pounds, lowered his cholesterol and eliminated his arthritis. How did Dr. Gundry accomplish these dramatic results so quickly? He cut out foods laden with gluten and lectins (toxic plant proteins found in grains, legumes, nightshades) and loaded up on polyphenol-rich foods and supplements.
Ever the researcher, Dr. Gundry has discovered even more breakthroughs in reversing disease, losing weight and boosting energy. These will be revealed April 2017 in a new book entitled, "The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain" (HarperCollins).
Based on his latest discoveries, Dr. Gundry has created a holiday meal plan that is, "all the flavor, none of the fat." Recipes below are gluten-free and nutrient-rich:
DR. GUNDRY'S LECTIN-LIGHT GRAVY
Pan drippings from one turkey
1 cup dry white wine
2 sprigs thyme
1 sprig rosemary
¼-½ cup coconut or tapioca flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Remove the turkey from the roasting pan and set on platter to rest.
- Gently tip pan so juices pool in one corner, and use spoon to skim away the fat layer on top of the pan drippings.
- Put pan on heat (you can just turn burners on under the roasting pan – I promise) and add the white wine, thyme and poultry seasoning. Cook for 15 minutes over medium high heat, or until the volume has reduced by half.
- Whisk in, cream, if using, and the flour substitute of your choice. Let cook until the gravy begins to thicken. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed – add salt and pepper, or if too salty, add cream.
- Serve alongside the turkey, over the mashed "potatoes".
For more heart-healthy holiday recipes, go here:
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS YOU'LL ACTUALLY EAT
- GLUTEN-FREE MILLET STUFFING
- MASHED "POTATOES"
- RAW CRANBERRY SLAW (no-sugar added)
More About Dr. Gundry
Dr. Gundry—as founder and director— practices at The International Heart and Lung Institute in Palm Springs, California, and The Center for Restorative Medicine in Palm Springs and Santa Barbara, California. For further information, visit www.drgundry.com / YouTube. For more holiday healthy tips, watch: You'll Hate These Thanksgiving Tips [But Love The Results].
SOURCE Gundry MD