DETROIT, May 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Henry Ford Health System is ranked first in the country among health care systems and hospitals for diversity.
The ranking by New Jersey-based DiversityInc cited Henry Ford's diverse workforce and network of suppliers, support of the community it serves and its leadership in promoting a diverse talent pipeline and employee development. Henry Ford ranked second the past two years.
DiversityInc's annual survey recognizes companies, including health care organizations and start-ups that bring clarity and education to the business benefits of committing to and nurturing inclusive and diverse workplace cultures, practices and programs.
Kimberlydawn Wisdom, M.D., Henry Ford's senior vice president of Community Health & Equity and chief wellness & diversity officer, says the recognition is a reflection of the health system's commitment to embrace inclusion and respect for all – patients, employees and the communities it serves.
"It's not only good for us as an organization, but it's important to the community we serve and, of course, it's an important part of providing the best patient care and health care experience possible," Dr. Wisdom says. "Diversity is in the fiber of the Henry Ford Health System and woven into everything we do. We take a progressive approach to diversity that displays sensitivity to all family structures and types, to the health and well-being of employees, and we foster an overall organizational culture that supports and leverages the talent and skills of all employees regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, experience, ability or other aspects of diversity."
Dr. Wisdom highlighted a series of initiatives and programs that support diversity and social responsibility:
- System-wide Healthcare Equity Campaign, focused on raising awareness, improving cross cultural communication, and integrating changes into system policies.
- Institute on Multicultural Health and its Healthcare Equity Scholars Program.
- Multicultural Dermatology Clinic, specializing in hair, tissue, and skin treatment for patients from diverse ethnicities.
- Multiple training opportunities for health system leaders and employees in diversity and inclusion, culturally appropriate care, and health care equity.
- Employee Resource Groups for women, Hispanic/Latino, Middle Eastern, African American, Gen-Y, and LGBT employees.
- In 2013 & 2014, Henry Ford was designated a "Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality" by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation.
- The health system also has a very active supplier diversity program.
About Henry Ford Health System
Henry Ford Health System, one of the largest and most comprehensive integrated U.S. health care systems, is a national leader in clinical care, research and education. The system includes the 1,200-member Henry Ford Medical Group, five hospitals, Health Alliance Plan (a health insurance and wellness company), Henry Ford Physician Network, a 150-site ambulatory network and many other health-related entities throughout southeast Michigan, providing a full continuum of care. In 2014, Henry Ford provided $317 million in uncompensated care. The health system also is a major economic driver in Michigan and employs more than 23,000 employees. Henry Ford is a 2011 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. The health system is led by CEO Nancy Schlichting.
SOURCE Henry Ford Health System