15 Oct, 2015, 10:00 ET
NEW YORK, Oct. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- HIGHMARK, a pioneer in building efficiency, has introduced the Building Load Deferment energy storage system to the Northeastern U.S. Building Load Deferment, a form of thermal energy storage and ice storage, enables energy production to be deferred to off-peak hours by storing it for later use, resulting in reduced energy costs by up to 50%. The affordable system can be installed quickly anywhere in a building and it integrates seamlessly with existing equipment.
Photo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20151013/276622LOGO
"We developed Building Load Deferment due to the impracticality of current energy storage systems, which are cumbersome, difficult to engineer, costly and time-consuming to install since they have to be custom-fit," said Richard Gerbe, Co-Founder of HIGHMARK. "Our system simplifies energy storage – it's pre-engineered, easy and fast to install, less tedious, not intrusive, inexpensive and can fit into any space. It's the Model T of energy storage and will make this technology available on a large scale."
"Building Load Deferment is a demand-control system approach that maximizes the cost-benefit of energy storage," said Anthony Sannazzaro, Co-Founder of HIGHMARK. "It impacts the primary energy user in the building, the HVAC, by deferring cooling production to off-peak hours when it's least expensive, storing it and then using it during peak hours to avoid the highest prices. Our technology is unique in that it can go anywhere in a building and it works flawlessly with existing building systems."
"We're also positioning renewables better and boosting grid efficiency with Building Load Deferment," said Joseph Schmitz, VP of HIGHMARKiq. "Renewable energy is weather-dependent, making production hard to control. Our system allows buildings to respond to electrical availability rather than vice versa, thus strengthening renewables and curbing power-plant use. Further, grid pressure is alleviated via less peak production, turning buildings into virtual power plants and earning them utility rebates."
Key benefits of Building Load Deferment include:
- Reduce energy costs by up to 50%: By deferring HVAC cooling production to off-peak hours through storage technology, energy costs can be reduced by up to 50% due to significantly lower energy prices on nights and weekends and the avoidance of costly peak-demand and spike charges.
- Install anywhere quickly and easily, with seamless integration: The pre-engineered, pre-determined system can be installed anywhere in a building quickly and easily, and be seamlessly integrated into existing equipment. This simplifies and speeds up the evaluation process and results in more storage than traditional standardized options.
- Support renewables and sustainability: Renewable energy production is inherently difficult to predict since it depends on the weather. By controlling how a building consumes energy, Building Load Deferment strengthens the position of renewables in the overall energy mix and curbs the use of conventional power plants, in particular the least-efficient ones, which supports sustainability efforts.
- Qualify for utility rebates: By responding to Con Edison and NYISO load-relief programs, buildings qualify for utility rebates for the energy not used during peak hours – a win-win resulting in greater grid efficiency and a better bottom line for building owners.
- Pre-determined economics: Building Load Deferment's pre-engineered and pre-determined system offers investment-grade returns for building owners, allowing for faster decision-making and deployment in existing buildings.
- Maintain building comfort: Energy costs can be reduced and renewables supported all while the same high level of indoor comfort for building occupants is maintained.
The Building Load Deferment energy storage system is available immediately throughout the Northeastern U.S. For more information, contact HIGHMARK at 212.920.4878 or [email protected].
HIGHMARK helps companies that are serious about operating buildings as efficiently as possible by enabling them to put the best technologies and practices in place, focusing on HVAC, energy services and water management. Since 2013, HIGHMARK has partnered with companies worldwide that share its vision and are inspired to innovate. The company's goal is to bring to market high-quality, technologically advanced products and systems that will better the built environment for centuries to come. For more information, visit: www.highmark-ny.com.
Share this article