AKRON, Ohio, Dec. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Ah, the magic twinkling of Christmas lights, a cornerstone of holiday memories for children of all ages, and a tradition that reaches back to the earliest days of electricity. The holiday season is the most popular time for home decoration, and FirstEnergy's (NYSE: FE) utilities hope everyone will enjoy this festive season while also remembering a few tips to help ensure the holidays remain safe.
Outdoor Lighting Safety
- Check all lights for frayed wires or areas where insulation has pulled away from plugs or sockets. Discard and replace any damaged light strings.
- Ensure that tacks or nails used to hold light strings do not pierce any insulation on wires or light sockets.
- Use only extension cords that are approved for outdoor use. These cords must meet rigorous safety standards that indoor cords may not meet.
- Outdoor lights, inflatables and other decorations should be plugged into outlets protected by ground fault interrupters.
- Place outdoor lights on a timer or turn them off before you go to bed.
Indoor Lighting Safety
- Inspect all light strings and cords for any damage, including frayed wires or insulation that has pulled away from light sockets or plugs. Also check for chewing or scratching damage if you have pets in the house. Discard and replace any damaged light strings.
- Live trees should be kept well-watered.
- No more than three strings of standard indoor lights should be connected to any extension cord.
- Make sure cords are placed where they won't be stepped on, kinked or pose a tripping hazard.
- Lights should not be permitted to touch drapes, furniture or carpeting.
- Lights should be turned off overnight and when no one is home.
Additional holiday safety information is available at https://www.firstenergycorp.com/help/safety/using-electricity/holiday-decorating.html. For more details about keeping safe around electricity, local groups can request a presentation through the FirstEnergy Speakers Bureau. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. The company's transmission subsidiaries operate more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, while its generation subsidiaries control nearly 17,000 megawatts of capacity from a diversified mix of scrubbed coal, non-emitting nuclear, natural gas, hydro and other renewables. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp or online at www.firstenergycorp.com.