WASHINGTON, April 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The award-winning GI Film Festival (GIFF), the nation's only military-themed film festival, is pleased to announce the full schedule of events for the 2012 event, which will feature premiere military film screenings, celebrity appearances, red carpet parties and more. The festival will take place Monday, May 14 through Sunday, May 20, 2012 in Washington, DC. For ticketing information and the program schedule, visit www.gifilmfestival.com.
The 6th annual GIFF film line-up offers 42 film screenings representing every branch of the military and spanning five wars. Over the course of the six-day event, the festival will offer 23 narrative films and 19 documentaries covering every genre conceivable – from action and adventure to drama and romance. And with at least a dozen World Premiere screenings, GIFF offers plenty of opportunities to discover emerging directors, writers, producers and actors. GIFF is proud to welcome many promising and established military veteran filmmakers as well.
"We were overwhelmed by the raw talent and emotion expressed in this year's film selections," explained Brandon Millett, Co-Founder and President of the GI Film Festival. "Our mission is to educate the public about the successes and sacrifices of the American military and this festival line-up perfectly exemplifies that mission."
In addition to offering the year's best independent films, the GI Film Festival will host special events every night during the six-day festival, including:
- A Monday night special event honoring Mr. H. Ross Perot, Sr. for his lifelong support of the military, featuring a red carpet screening, awards ceremony and three-course dinner catered by Wolfgang Puck at the Newseum. (May 14)
- A Tuesday night Congressional Reception honoring Vietnam War veterans featuring 2012 "GI Spirit Award" winner actor Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds) and keynote presentations by Reps. Geoff Davis (R-KY) and Loretta Sanchez (D-CA). (May 15)
- A Wednesday night event at the Canadian Embassy honoring the international warrior spirit with special guest emcee and television personality Pat Sajak. (May 16)
- A Thursday night advanced screening of the upcoming Universal Pictures feature film BATTLESHIP, directed by Peter Berg. The BATTLESHIP screening will take place during the festival's Wounded Warrior Appreciation Night where wounded warriors from the DC metro area are the guests of honor. (May 17)
- A Friday night red carpet event highlighting films documenting the attacks of 9/11 and the beginning of the War on Terror, featuring world premiere screenings of 8:46 and From Philadelphia to Fallujah. (May 18)
- A Saturday night red carpet Salute to Military Spouses, which will feature the presentation of the Military Family Award to Army Wives co-stars Brian McNamara and Sally Pressman as well as the world premiere screening of Memorial Day, starring James Cromwell. (May 19)
- A Sunday night "Best of the Festival" film awards ceremony featuring a special appearance by Longhorn the Comedian. (May 20)
The festival will also feature a "Filmmaker Boot Camp" on Friday, May 18 at the Canadian Embassy where top producers, directors and writers will provide filmmakers with inside tips and strategies for succeeding in film and television.
"One of the best parts of the festival is every day is so different. Whether our guests are honoring the contributions of wounded warriors or walking the red carpet with famous actors, there's a unique experience every night," said GIFF Co-Founder and Director Laura Law-Millett, a graduate of West Point and a veteran of the U.S. Army and Army Reserves.
The GI Film Festival is a 501 c(3) non-profit educational organization dedicated to sharing the military experience in and out of the arena of war. The GIFF is the only film festival in the nation to exclusively celebrate the successes and sacrifices of the service member through the medium of film. Review the festival's 2012 schedule now, and start planning your visit!
GI Film Festival 2012 – reel stories, real heroes.
Contact: D'Ann Long - 951-315-6534 or Laura Law-Millett – 800-928-6307 ext 101
SOURCE GI Film Festival