TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras, March 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- International golfers packed their favorite putters and headed to Honduras' Caribbean resort city of Tela for the 3rd annual Honduras Open this past weekend, part of the PGA Tour Latin America, held March 23 to 27.
As in past years, the Open was hosted by Indura Golf Resort at Honduras' first championship 18-hole golf course, designed by golf pro Gary Player. This resort is a part of the Curio Collection by Hilton, that looks to mix luxury and environmentally conscious amenities, offering guests a truly authentic travel experience. The Open attracted more than 100 registered players from nearly two dozen countries.
Designed to be an enjoyable challenge for players of all levels, Indura's course runs over 1800 acres and combines sand beaches, blue lagoons, and native wetland vegetation. The course features two distinct nines, demanding acute attention and precision from the pros. The front nine holes curve through the lush Honduran jungle, where players can spot colorful birds and curious monkeys. The back end runs close to the sea, challenging the woods with fast winds and waves. The course is managed by Troon Golf, the world's largest luxury golf management company.
Players in search of another type of "green" can visit the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens, the world's second-largest, or find sanctuary in the Jeanette Kawas National Park's tropical rain forests and mangroves.
Although the Indura Golf Resort is the most well-known course in Honduras, this quaint Central American country harbors many welcoming greens open year-round, including:
- D'Antoni Golf Club (holes 9, par 36, private), with only nine holes but whose second set of tees transforms it to one of Honduras' six 18-hole golf courses. La Ceiba is the starting point for excursions on the Cangrejal River, one of Central America's best for white-water rafting.
- Comayagua Golf Club (holes 9, par 34, length 2500 yards, resort), situated in Honduras' original capital and one of its premier colonial cities. Comayagua harbors one of the world's oldest clocks, dating back to 1100, and will soon begin receiving international flights.
- Tegucigalpa Country Club (holes 9, par 71, length 5417 yards, semi-private), which offers needed stress relief for business travelers visiting the Honduran capital, whose colonial city center is in the process of being restored to its original luster. Capital-city residents escape for the weekend to Valle de Ángeles in search of relaxation, wood carvings, pottery and contemporary art.
- Black Pearl Golf Course at Pristine Bay Resort (holes 18, par 72, length 7064 yards, slope 117, rating 73.1, resort) in Roatán has received international attention for its challenging course designed by Pete Dye that gives players glimpses of the Meso-American Barrier Reef, the second largest coral reef in the world and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. West Bay in Roatán was named one of the top 25 beaches in the world by Trip Advisor, and the island destination has quickly become one of the hottest Caribbean cruise ports.
Golf Course Information
- D'Antoni Golf Club
- Address: Carretera A Muelle de Cabotaje, N/D La Ceiba, Honduras
- Phone: +(504) 2240-273
- Comayagua Golf Club
- Address: Km 2 contiguo a Exveco, 12101 Comayagua, Honduras
- Phone: (504)9553-0123, (504)2771-949
- Tegucigalpa Country Club
- Address: Tegucigalpa, 11101, Honduras
- Phone: +504 2227-454
- Black Pearl Golf Course at Pristine Bay Resort
- Address: Pristine Bay Rd, French Harbor, Roatan 34101, Honduras
- Phone: (Toll-Free) 1-800-558-6447, (Honduras) +504-2407-2050, and (US) 1-713-489-2554
ABOUT HONDURAS TRAVEL
Honduras is home to West Bay, voted one of the world's top 25 beaches by Trip Advisor; Roatán, a favorite Caribbean cruise port close to the Meso-American Barrier Reef, the second largest coral reef in the world; Copán, the heart of the Mayan civilization and a UNESCO World Heritage Site; and the largest expanse of virgin rainforest north of the equator. Our country is a birdwatcher's delight, with more than 700 species, many of them endemic; is one of the few places in the world where one can swim with whale sharks; and has set aside one-quarter of its territory as protected areas. We're land, we're sea, we're people, we're heart, we're Honduras and we're all about you! Learn more at https://www.honduras.travel/en/.
ABOUT THE HONDURAS COUNTRY BRAND
Honduras' Country Brand Program is a public-private partnership launched in 2015 to promote Honduras as a tourism and investment destination and position its goods and services around the world. Learn more at http://www.hondurasmarcapais.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/honduras-open-brings-international-attention-to-the-countrys-emerging-golf-scene-300431329.html
SOURCE Honduras Presidency