PHILADELPHIA, Jan. 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, a family-owned home service company with an A+ rating by the BBB, is reminding Philadelphia homeowners that January is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month due to the increase in use of furnaces and heaters, which can present hidden dangers from the colorless, tasteless and odorless gas.
"Apart from getting sick, the only way to tell if your home has a carbon monoxide issue is to have functioning CO detectors on every floor," said Joseph Giannone, owner of Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning. "We recommend investing in dealer-authorized, low level detectors for maximum safety, and we also recommend changing the batteries in the units every six months and replacing the units themselves every five years."
Another important measure, he said, is scheduling annual maintenance on furnaces and other heating equipment because problems such as cracked heat exchangers can go unnoticed by the average homeowner and result in serious issues with carbon monoxide.
Giannone noted that carbon monoxide poisoning can cause dizziness, difficulty breathing, headaches and flu-like symptoms, and in some cases, even death. More than 400 people die in the U.S. each year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A recent CDC study found that January has three times the fatality rate for carbon monoxide poisoning as the months of August and July.
"Children and older adults are particularly vulnerable," said Giannone. "Anyone who thinks they have been exposed to carbon monoxide should seek fresh air and medical attention immediately. Worry about calling your local gas professional after you're a safe distance away."
Other tips to avoid carbon monoxide exposure include checking to make sure flue pipes and vents are completely free of obstruction and to always use gas-burning appliances, such as space heaters, in well-ventilated areas. Backup generators, useful during winter storms, should never be operated near windows, doors or inside garages regardless of the weather.
"It's important that you and your loved ones make these practices regular habits," Giannone said. "And again, I can't stress enough the importance of making sure that you have working CO detectors installed and routine inspections and maintenance performed on your heating systems. Make sure your service expert is thorough in the inspection and using a combustion analyzer to rule out any potential hazards."
For more information on preventing the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, contact Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air conditioning at (215) 383-2956 or visit www.CallJG.com.
About Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning
Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning is a family-owned and operated business providing the Philadelphia area with high-quality plumbing and HVAC services. Our team of technicians is well-trained, insured, and always guarantees you the best work possible. We always go the extra mile for our customers, even providing same-day emergency service so we can attend to any of your plumbing, air conditioning, and heating needs at any time. Located in the Philadelphia area, we service customers throughout the city and in the surrounding areas. For more information, call (215) 383-2956 or visit www.calljg.com.
SOURCE Joseph Giannone Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning