FELTON, California, October 4, 2018 /PRNewswire/ --
The global human milk oligosaccharides (HMO) market size is expected to reach USD 170.4 million by 2024. It is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 12.3% over the forecast period. HMO is a bioactive complex sugar molecule, which promotes growth of healthy bacteria, such as bifid bacteria genus in human gut. It also helps improve metabolic activity in human body. In addition, incorporation of HMO in the formulation of functional foods and beverages not only promotes growth of healthy bacteria but also eliminates harmful microbes such as salmonella, listeria, and campylobacter.
High infant mortality rate coupled with rising demand for human milk donors in North America is one of the major drivers for the HMO market. North America accounted for around 25.0% of global market share in 2015 and is projected to expand further during the forecast period. Growing demand for infant food especially for infants with non-lactating mothers coupled with strong presence of infant formula manufacturers in U.S. is expected to have a positive impact on regional market. Besides North America, Europe is one of the key markets for human milk oligosaccharides. Presence of a large biotechnical institutes engaged in the development of enzyme formulations in Germany, U.K., and France is encouraging HMO manufacturers to establish tie-ups to improve their R&D activities.
Over the past few years, many R&D institutes have launched chemically synthesizing techniques and cow milk processing methods for the production of HMO. Extraction of human milk oligosaccharides is a bit expensive due to the limited access to raw materials. Product innovations aimed at improving brain health, are expected to pose a threat to the existing market participants. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the world population is expected rise by over a billion in the next 10 years. This factor is anticipated to propel demand for infant food, thereby driving the global market.
Browse full research report with TOC on "Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMO) Market Size And Forecast, By application (Infant Formula, Functional Food & Beverages, Food Supplements) And Segment Forecast, 2013 - 2024" at: https://www.hexaresearch.com/research-report/human-milk-oligosaccharides-hmo-market
The HMO is also useful for adults as it helps maintain health of the digestive system. The ingredient acts as a microbiota modulator and maintains health of the immune system. HMO also helps prevent T1D, which interacts between the innate immune system and intestinal microbes in adults. High demand for digestive health supplements among adults due to rising concerns regarding gastrointestinal disorders is expected to promote market growth.
Some of the key manufacturers in the Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMO) market include Inbiose; Jennewein Biotechnologie GmbH; Elicityl SA; Glycom A/S; ZuChem, Inc.; Medolac Laboratories; and Glycosyn LLC. Increased number of health claims in U.S. and several developed markets of Europe has spurred studies to explore the potential of HMO. These studies have derived different microbial challenges in gut, prevention of diarrhea, and protection from infectious diseases. In September 2013, ZuChem launched new HMO formulations including l-galactose, as well as sugar phosphates such as β-l-glucose-1-phosphate, α-d-galactose-1-phosphate, and β-l-xylose-1-phosphate. In October 2014, U.S. based Madolac Laboratories completed construction of second phase of HMO purification plant. This plant will synthesize human milk oligosaccharides on a large scale, which will be further used in clinical trials and scientific research.
Browse related reports by Hexa Research:
- Lactoferrin Market - Global lactoferrin market size was valued at USD 87.8 million in 2017 and is expected to witness further growth over the forecast period. Rising demand for infant formula as a result of high birth rate in emerging economies like China and India is expected to remain a principal driving force for the market.
- Botanical Supplements Market - Global botanical supplements market size was valued at USD 17.74 billion in 2017 and is expected to register a CAGR of over 9% over the forecast period. Rising concerns regarding the adverse effects of synthetically derived nutraceuticals are projected to augment the demand for botanical supplements.
- Prebiotics Market - Global prebiotics market size was valued at USD 3.34 billion in 2016 and is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 10.0% over the forecast period. Increasing use of prebiotics in several dairy products is projected to augment the market expansion.
- Probiotics Ingredients Market - Global probiotics ingredients market size was valued at USD 1.95 billion in 2017 and is expected to grow further over the forecast period. Rising preference towards preventive healthcare coupled with awareness regarding the inherent benefits of fiber ingredients is expected to boost the overall market.
Hexa Research has segmented the global human milk oligosaccharides (HMO) market report based on application and region:
Segmentation by Application
- Infant Formula
- Functional Food & Beverages
- Food Supplements
Segmentation by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
Key players analyzed:
- Inbiose NV
- Elicityl S.A.
- Jennewein Biotechnologie GmbH
- Glycom A/S
- Medolac Laboratories
- ZuChem Inc.
- Glycosyn LLC
About Hexa Research
Hexa Research is a market research and consulting organization, offering industry reports, custom research and consulting services to a host of key industries across the globe. We offer comprehensive business intelligence in the form of industry reports which help our clients obtain clarity about their business environment and enable them to undertake strategic growth initiatives.
Corporate Sales Specialist
Toll Free: 1-800-489-3075
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE Hexa Research