CHICAGO, Aug. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- As summer break comes to end, it's natural for children to be anxious for the back-to-school transition. When it comes to preparing for a new school year, a little can go a long way. Huntington Learning Center, the premier tutoring and test prep program in the Chicagoland area with 22 locations specializing in individualized tutoring and test preparation, offers expert tips on how parents can prepare their kids for a successful school year.
Huntington Learning Center shares the following five tips to help parents start the school year off on the right foot:
- Get Organized: Now's the time to get everything prepared for the school year. Set up a homework area that is comfortable, well-lit and free of distractions. Prepare an organization system for homework and any paperwork that comes home for the parents. Stocking up on brand new school supplies can get your child excited about the year ahead of them, and don't forget to grab a new planner for the student to stay on top of assignments.
- Do Some Refresher Work: Incorporate school work into your child's schedule as the first day of school approaches. To practice writing, have your child keep a daily journal on the things they did during the day, and integrate reading in the nightly routine. If possible, pull out any workbooks or assignments from last year and review the material with your child.
- Get Back into Routine: Summer schedules are oftentimes more relaxed than during the school year, so prepare your children for school once again by implementing the school routine a few weeks before school actually starts. Begin enforcing an earlier bed and wake time that are similar to the schoolyear routine and think about getting a family calendar started.
- Review Expectations: Strong parent-student communication is a key to success, so establish an open communication system. Before the school year starts, be open with your child about your expectations about performance and assignment completion. When the syllabus comes home, walk through the upcoming year with your child, discussing large projects or tests and how to best tackle them.
- Talk about Goals. Goal setting can be a powerful tool. Talk with your child about the things that he or she would like to accomplish or change this school year on both the academic level and others. If your child had any difficulties last year, let him or her know you are there to help and want to maintain open communication about school.
"If your child needs assistance getting backing into the school mindset, there are number of simple things you can do to help make the transition easier," said Diane Kilcommons, owner of Huntington Learning Center of Elmhurst. "A new school year doesn't have to be something kids dread. By preparing with these tips during the final few weeks of summer, kids can actually get excited and mentally prepared for the year ahead."
Huntington Learning Center helps students of all academic levels achieve better grades, improve study habits and boost confidence. For individualized tutoring and test preparation needs, visit https://huntingtonhelps.com.
About Huntington Learning Center
Huntington Learning Center is the premier tutoring program in the Chicagoland area with 22 locations specializing in tutoring and test preparation. For 40 years, Huntington Learning Center has changed the educational lives of millions of children and their families with its proven, individualized approach to learning. Because each student is different, Huntington Learning Center has developed a personalized approach to tutoring that begins with a comprehensive academic evaluation test to identify the best program and plan for each child. Students are then taught through individualized instruction tailored to each student's unique learning needs. For more information about Huntington Learning Center, visit https://huntingtonhelps.com.
Media Contact: Ellen Panther, Fishman Public Relations, 847-945-1300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/huntington-learning-center-shares-five-tips-to-help-parents-get-kids-ready-for-school-year-300496671.html
SOURCE Huntington Learning Center