FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., July 28, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
- Free Android Auto software download available at MyHyundai.com
- How To video can be found at Hyundai USA YouTube channel
- Android Auto reduces driver distraction by integrating the driver's smartphone with the vehicle's screen and controls
- Hyundai is the only automaker to have Android Auto available today
Owners of a 2015 Sonata with Navigation can now get the Android Auto software update free of charge at MyHyundai.com (www.myhyundai.com). The software is also available for free at Hyundai dealerships nationwide. Hyundai is the only automaker to have Android Auto on production vehicles today, starting with the Sonata and soon expanding to other models.
"This is the first time we've made a software upgrade available using the MyHyundai portal," said Michael Deitz, senior group manager of Connected Care, Hyundai Motor America. "Sonata owners can add more value with Android Auto in an easy-to-do upgrade that takes less than an hour. Hyundai is continuing to offer the best user experience possible by leveraging its MyHyundai platform, so customers have the option to update their car – their way."
The Android Auto compatible Navigation system with an eight-inch touchscreen display is available on the Sonata Sport, Eco, Limited, Sport 2.0T and Limited 2.0T models. Consumers can watch the How To video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzMp9dwZW-E) , which is available on the Hyundai USA YouTube channel, for instructions on how to download the software and install it in their compatible vehicles.
To obtain the software, customers need to visit the MyHyundai owner's site (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundai). If the owner does not have a MyHyundai account, they need to click register. To register, owners will need their name, e-mail address, zip code and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Once the owner has a MyHyundai account, they can login by entering their account ID and password. Upon login, the owner must perform the following steps:
- Select 2015 Sonata on the drop-down menu in the top left of the navigation bar.
- Once the owner gets to the Sonata 2015 screen, they can select downloads in the navigation then the Android Auto downloads drop-down.
- On the Android Auto downloads page, the owner must agree to the terms and conditions to activate the download button.
- Once the download button is active, clicking it will start the download.
- Once the download is complete, the owner opens the downloaded file and selects run.
- Upon completing the download, the download tool will start.
- At this point, the owner connects a compatible USB driver to their computer.
- The download tool will automatically extract the downloaded files and put them on the USB drive.
- A confirmation screen will appear when the download is complete.
Vehicle Software Update steps:
- Park the car in a well-ventilated area and start the engine.
- Connect the USB drive with the vehicle software on it to the USB port in the Sonata.
- Press the setup button near the radio controls.
- Scroll down and tap the System Info icon on the touch screen.
- Tap update at the bottom of the touch screen.
- The Software Update will begin automatically.
- Enable Android Auto. Navigate to Connectivity Settings in the Setup menu to find the enable Android Auto on/off switch.
Installing Android Auto on the Phone
- Connect an Android Auto compatible phone to the Sonata via a micro USB cable and download the Android Auto app when prompted.
- Then the customer needs to hit the Android Auto icon on his or her touchscreen and Android Auto is ready.
Android Auto not only brings a high technology experience to Hyundai owners, but also improves safety. For example, at any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, a number that has held steady since 2010.1 Android Auto helps keep drivers' eyes and attention on the road by integrating the advanced driving-related functions of the user's smartphone with the familiar centralized screen, physical controls and microphone of their car. Furthermore, the smartphone's screen becomes "locked," so drivers are not tempted to look down and interact with their phones directly while Android Auto is in use.
Owners will need the Android 5.0 "Lollipop" operating system or later, and the Android Auto companion app on their compatible phone to utilize Android Auto in the Sonata. A micro USB cable is required to connect the phone to the car's USB port. The first time an owner plugs his or her phone into their parked Sonata, the phone will prompt the download of the Android Auto companion app from the Google Play. Users of Android Auto will instantly recognize familiar Android phone applications, such as Google Maps, Google Now, messaging, phone calling and Google Play Music upon connecting their Android phone to their Hyundai vehicle. These applications can be controlled by voice, steering wheel controls and touchscreen. Android Auto also will offer many popular third-party audio apps that owners have on their phones, including iHeartRadio, Spotify, TuneIn, NPR, Stitcher, Slacker, Skype, TextMe and many more. Owners can find out up-to-date information about phone compatibility at Google Support for Android Auto (https://support.google.com/androidauto).
Advantages of Android Auto
- The Google Now card-based experience provides suggested locations and travel times based on the user's searches, calendar entries and home and office locations, as well as weather information and "now playing" information for music streamed via the phone
- App software (navigation, streaming music, etc.) is automatically updated because the apps live on the phone
- Natural voice recognition with Talk to Google
- Owners can easily bring their personal reminders, suggested destinations, calendar appointments and music preferences with them when they get in their car
- Android Auto automatically pairs with the Sonata for phone calls through Bluetooth when connected for the first time via USB
- Android Auto has familiar interfaces that are easy to use and have almost no learning curve
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Fountain Valley, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 830 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable new vehicle limited warranty, Hyundai's 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty and five years of complimentary Roadside Assistance. Hyundai Blue Link Connected Care provides owners of Hyundai models equipped with the Blue Link telematics system with proactive safety and car care services complimentary for one year with enrollment. These services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostic Alert, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and in-vehicle service scheduling.
For more details on Hyundai Assurance, please visit www.HyundaiAssurance.com
1 Driver Electronic Device Use in 2012. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. February 2014.
SOURCE Hyundai Motor America