NEW YORK, April 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- IEEE, the world's largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for humanity, today announced the acquisition of GlobalSpec, a leading source of news, data and analytics for the global engineering and technical community including the widely known brand name Engineering360.
The new for-profit subsidiary of IEEE has been renamed IEEE GlobalSpec, Inc. and will significantly complement IEEE's already broad offerings for engineers as well as its emerging position in research analytics, further fueling the organization's value to industry through its business-oriented, content rich marketing platforms.
IEEE GlobalSpec is a prominent multi-media destination for the engineering community providing proprietary editorial and technical content, classified in a relevant engineering-focused system. This dynamic destination is targeted to a decision-making audience of industry-based engineers, technical professionals, manufacturers, distributors, and service providers involved in technical research, product design, and purchasing. The business also provides webinars and online forums for technical professionals to share and collaborate, and a full suite of content marketing tools and products.
IEEE GlobalSpec will be headquartered in the Albany suburb of East Greenbush, New York.
"IEEE GlobalSpec solidifies our leadership position by broadening our product offerings and expertly diversifying our appeal to the global technology community," said IEEE President Barry L. Shoop. "We are committed to our mission of advancing technology for humanity, and we believe the synergistic benefits created through this acquisition – across content, standards, and communities – will better serve the needs of our members, professions, and customers."
The site delivers a unique information experience, comprised of:
- News & Analysis – authoritative content, including industry/market news and perspectives, analysis, insights and critical information, driven by a seasoned editorial staff
- Products & Suppliers – more than 122 million parts from suppliers across numerous industrial sectors, searchable by specification
- Standards Directory – access to metadata and abstracts for 1.6 million standards documents
- Reference Library – a gateway to more than 95 million engineering documents, including technical articles, reports, publications, patents, and e-books
- Engineering Community – an established online community in the engineering/industrial space, offering forums, blogs and related resources
"IEEE GlobalSpec delivers an unparalleled depth and quality of highly relevant content critical to the worldwide technical community. Professionals can utilize IEEE GlobalSpec to research, compare and price components, download reference material, research industry standards and patent information, review product datasheets, and interact with the global engineering community," said IEEE Executive Director E. James Prendergast. "IEEE GlobalSpec is destined to drive new research efficiencies and productivity opportunities for academic and corporate users by harnessing powerful insights and expert analysis, from specifications to expert marketplace analysis."
IEEE GlobalSpec At-A-Glance
- More than 8 million registered users
- 95 million technical documents
- 200+ million datasheets
- 220 million indexed technical webpages
- 1,100+ annual newsletter editions
- 200,000+ suppliers
- 82,000 product announcements
- 63,000 digitized catalogs
- 835 specification guides
IEEE is the largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice in a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers, and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power, and consumer electronics. Learn more at http://www.ieee.org.
Monika M. Stickel