SAN FRANCISCO, June 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ICAP Patent Brokerage, a division of ICAP plc and the world's largest intellectual property brokerage firm and organizer of ICAP Ocean Tomo Auctions, is offering for auction a patented technique designed to protect against both product tampering and RFID tampering. The lot will be included in the 16th ICAP Ocean Tomo IP Auction on July 26, 2012, at the Julia Morgan Ballroom in San Francisco, California.
A significant issue in today's marketplace is the product liability risk surrounding the sale of a product with a broken seal to an unknowing customer. Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology can be used for identifying products by attaching an RFID transponder. However, this transponder can be disabled due to tampering, making the product invisible to an RFID scanner. Further, the manual process to inspect and detect broken product seals by store personnel is time intensive and inefficient. Techniques are therefore required to quickly, inexpensively, and reliably detect tampered products.
Key Characteristics & Benefits
This portfolio discloses techniques for RFID label tamper detection and prevention.
- Multiple RFID components are embedded as labels and attached to a single product unit.
- The disclosed RFID labels have an adhesive label containing an RFID component, a destructible conducting path that acts as an antenna, and a unique encryption.
- RFID labels transmit the encryption when irradiated by an RF scanner.
- Therefore, a complete list of multiple associated encryptions reported during an RFID scan of a product provides a positive indication that product has not been tampered with.
- Further, a missing encryption indicates a faulty product seal or a tampering event.
This patent portfolio represents an important resource for retail and healthcare solutions providers as well as manufacturers of high value product packaging.
To learn more about the assets available for sale in this portfolio:
Contact Olivia Becker of ICAP Patent Brokerage at 561-358-1678 or [email protected]
About ICAP Patent Brokerage
ICAP Patent Brokerage is a division of ICAP plc and the world's largest intellectual property brokerage and patent auction firm.
ICAP is the world's leading interdealer broker and provider of post trade risk and information services. The Group matches buyers and sellers in the wholesale markets in interest rates, credit, commodities, FX, emerging markets and equity derivatives through voice and electronic networks. Through our post trade risk and information services we help our customers manage and mitigate risks in their portfolios. For more information go to www.icap.com.
SOURCE ICAP Patent Brokerage