ATLANTA, Oct. 20, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- InComm, a leading prepaid product and transaction services company, today released the results of a survey highlighting consumers' attitudes toward giving and receiving gift cards during the winter holidays. More than 500 respondents, surveyed online in May 2016, answered questions about the number of gift cards they plan to buy between October and December and for which holiday.
Highlights of the survey include:
- 95 percent of consumers expect to give two or more gift cards this year, while 92 percent of consumers gave at least two gift cards last year.
- 67 percent of consumers expect to give at least five gift cards this year, while 54 percent gave at least five last year.
- The most popular holiday for giving a gift card is Christmas, with 87 percent of consumers planning to give a gift card that day.
- 28 percent of millennial consumers give gift cards for the New Year's holiday.
- 10 percent of consumers consider giving a gift card on Halloween.
"Gift cards have long been a popular option during the holiday season, and that popularity continues to grow as consumers embrace the advantages of prepaid, and as a greater selection of gift cards becomes more widely available," said Brian Parlotto, Sales & Marketing Executive Vice President at InComm. "By partnering with some of the biggest retailers and most popular brands, we are making sure that gift cards, one of the most popular gift options of the season, continue to be the most convenient and versatile option for busy consumers."
Gift cards are often sought after by consumers who have long shopping lists to complete by the end of the season. According to a survey by the National Retail Federation last year, only 10 percent of shoppers said they were done shopping by the middle of December. That leaves 90 percent of consumers that can benefit from the comfort, convenience, and versatility of gifts cards during the last two weeks of the holiday season. With a wide variety of denominations and brands, gift cards are the preferred choice for consumers.
Leveraging deep integrations into retailers' point-of-sale systems, InComm provides connectivity to a variety of service providers that allow consumers to conduct everyday business at more than 500,000 points of retail distribution. Whether those consumers are activating prepaid products, paying bills, enjoying real-time discounts through a membership card, purchasing digital goods in-store or adding funds to an online account, InComm is there to provide unique gift-gifting opportunities, cater to on-the-go shoppers, deliver added value through loyalty programs and serve cash-based consumers. With 206 global patents, InComm is headquartered in Atlanta with a presence in 31 countries. Learn more at www.incomm.com or connect with us on www.twitter.com/incomm, www.facebook.com/incomm, www.linkedin.com/company/incomm or www.incomm.com/blog.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/incomm-study-shows-gift-card-popularity-increasing-during-holidays-300348565.html