DALLAS, Nov. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Designers of industrial, medical and personal electronics want devices to charge faster and more efficiently, while getting rid of all connectors. Today Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) provides a more efficient solution with the industry's first fully integrated 10-Watt wireless charging receiver and corresponding transmitter. The bq51025 and bq500215, both shipping in volume production, enable waterproof and dustproof portable designs and provide a faster, cooler charge to one- and two-cell (1S and 2S) Li-Ion batteries. The charging solution is also compatible with any 5-W Qi-compliant product in the market – allowing consumers the flexibility to charge in more places than ever before. To order samples and evaluation modules, visit: www.ti.com/wirelesspower-pr.
TI will demonstrate the new 10-W wireless charging solution at the Wireless Power Summit in Berkeley, Calif., Nov. 19-20.
Efficient wireless charging at 10-W
The bq51025 receiver supports a programmable output voltage of 4.5 V to 10 V and achieves up to 84 percent charging efficiency at 10-W when paired with TI's bq500215 wireless power transmitter, significantly improving thermal performance. The fully contained wireless power receiver solution measures only 3.60-mm by 2.89-mm, and can be designed into many portable industrial designs, ranging from point-of-sale (POS) scanners to handheld medical diagnostic equipment, and personal electronics, such as tablets and ultra-books.
The new bq500215 is a dedicated, fixed-frequency 10-W wireless power digital controller transmitter compatible with 5-W Qi receivers. The transmitter features an enhanced foreign object detection (FOD) method that detects objects before any power is transferred, and actively reduces power if excessive loss is detected.
Key features and benefits of bq51025/bq500215:
- Fast-charging receiver achieves up to 84 percent system efficiency at 10-W when combined with TI's bq500215 controller – enabling a fast charging experience for one- and two-cell battery powered electronics.
- Qi-compliant communications and control ensures compatibility with any Wireless Power Consortium Qi-certified transmitter or receiver up to 5W. The wireless charging solution's I2C communications interface allows better alignment of the receiver on the transmitter surface, as well as ability to send proprietary packets of data between the receiver and transmitter.
- Both devices will be compatible with TI's future medium power Qi-compliant transmitters and receivers.
Wireless power evaluation modules
- The bq51025EVM-649 wireless power receiver evaluation kit helps designers evaluate the operation and performance of the bq51025.
- The bq500215EVM-648 wireless power transmitter evaluation module provides all the basic functions of a Qi-compliant, wireless charger pad. The 12-V input, single coil transmitter enables designers to speed time to market.
TI and wireless power
TI's wireless power management products enable innovative, efficient wireless charging capabilities for mobile phones, tablets and other portable electronics, and wireless power charging transmitters ranging from stand-alone charging pads to those embedded in cars and furniture. The company offers the most extensive portfolio of power integrated circuits that support WPC's Qi standard. TI also is a member of the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) and PMA.
Availability and pricing
The bq51025 receiver and bq500215 transmitter are available now in volume production. The bq51025 comes in a 42-ball, 3.6-mm by 2.9-mm by 0.5-mm chip scale package and is priced at US$4.00 in 1,000-unit quantities. The bq500215 comes in a 9-mm by 9-mm package, and is priced at US$4.00 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Find out more about TI's wireless power solutions:
- Check out TI's comprehensive portfolio of wireless power solutions.
- Download the white paper, "Adapting Qi-compliant wireless power solutions to low-power wearable products."
- Join the TI E2E™ Wireless Power community to find solutions, get help, share knowledge and solve problems with fellow engineers and TI experts.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments