LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX®, a leading international provider of traffic information and driver services, introduced a set of technologies that makes it safer and easier to use a mobile app in the car.
INRIX XD Connect helps automotive suppliers and OEMs better integrate a mobile app with the vehicle so consumers can access information and interact with mobile apps in a driver-friendly context.
"Drivers juggling smartphone apps inside a car pose obvious risks to their safety and others on the road," said INRIX Vice President of Mobile, Mike Arcuri. "XD Connect helps reduce risk of driver distraction, allowing consumers to keep their hands on the wheel, eyes on the road and not on the phone."
XD Connect is a breakthrough technology designed to help automakers and their suppliers comply with the National Highway and Transportation Administration's (NHTSA) driver distraction guidelines.
Benefits of XD Connect include the ability to:
- Assign app functions to steering wheel controls or buttons on the dash for ease of use
- Optimize font and button sizes, in-app icons and app displays for in-car use
- Disable specific app functions and customize interaction to minimize driver distraction
- Integrate apps with the vehicle's voice recognition and text-to-speech software
- Customize app interfaces to match the look and feel of each in-car system or aftermarket device
Mobile and automotive companies requiring traffic-enabled in-car app experiences can leverage the new head-unit-optimized HMI and connectivity protocols built into XD Connect. INRIX XD Connect will be showcased at CES with the INRIX Traffic app on Pioneer's AppRadio 3 and Bosch SoftTec's mySPIN smartphone integration for Jaguar Land Rover's new InControl Apps service.
Other new INRIX-powered products, services and customers announced at CES include:
- BMW: INRIX collaborated with BMW to develop the first intermodal navigation system for the automaker's new i3 and i8 vehicles. It's the first navigation system to integrate local public transport connections into journey planning alerting drivers to faster alternative modes of transportation when accidents and other delays occur up ahead on their route. INRIX is also providing BMW with location, availability and other information for more than 9,000 EV charging locations in 15 countries.
- Volkswagen: Initially introduced on the 2013 GTI and GTD models across Europe, Volkswagen is making INRIX real-time traffic information available to owners of all new Golf models equipped with its Car-Net navigation service in 18 European countries.
- Mercedes Benz: INRIX provides Mercedes owners in select models with access to live traffic camera images for more than 250 U.S. cities.
- Sprint Velocity: INRIX is partnering with Sprint to provide real-time traffic information and driver services on the Sprint Velocity Connect telematics platform.
The automakers, suppliers and aftermarket infotainment providers at CES showcasing products and services powered by INRIX include:
- Audi (Booth 3430): INRIX Fuel and INRIX Park driver services for Audi connect
- BMW (Tent in Silver Lot 3): INRIX XD traffic information, intermodal navigation and INRIX EV services integrated in BMW ConnectedDrive
- Bosch (Booth 428): INRIX Traffic app integration in Jaguar Land Rover vehicles
- Elektrobit Automotive (Booth 3034): INRIX real-time traffic information integration with EB street director navigation software
- Ford Motor Company (Booth 2222): INRIX real-time traffic information, Sync Destinations & MyLincoln mobile apps
- Garmin (Booth 38512): INRIX real-time traffic information in NAVIGON apps and select Garmin PNDs
- Kenwood: INRIX real-time traffic information and INRIX Park service in the Excelon DNN990HD and DNN770HD receivers
- Pioneer (Booth 1201): INRIX Traffic App integration with INRIX XD Connect on Pioneer AppRadio 3
- Mercedes-Benz (Booth 3835): INRIX Traffic Cameras on select models
- Toyota (Booth 2817): INRIX real-time traffic information on Toyota Entune-equipped vehicles
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services help more than 150 million drivers save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering nearly 4 million miles of road in 37 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.