MEMPHIS, Tenn., June 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- International Paper today released its 2014 Sustainability Report sharing progress against its voluntary sustainability goals, a new sustainability strategy and highlighting collaborations that advance sustainability throughout the life cycle of its products. The 2014 report features stories from around the world that collectively capture some of International Paper's key sustainability efforts and impacts.
As a global manufacturer operating in more than 24 countries, natural resources are crucial to International Paper's supply chain. This is why the company is continuously working to improve all aspects of their value chain, especially sourcing of wood fiber, water use, and energy efficiency.
"International Paper uses renewable natural resources to make products that people depend on every day," said Mark Sutton, chairman and CEO, International Paper. "Our commitment to active stewardship of these resources is in our nature, and has been for more than 117 years. We have made significant progress on our sustainability goals and believe that a sharp focus will help us accelerate our results to benefit our customers, our company and the communities where we operate."
Here is a high-level summary of 2014 accomplishments included in the report:
- Safety: Eliminating fatalities and injuries in the workplace is International Paper's highest priority. The company's Life-Changing Injury and Fatality Elimination (LIFE) safety program has reduced life-impacting injuries by 68 percent since its inception.
- Water Use: Recognizing the growing importance of global water usage, International Paper has mapped all mills based on water-related risk to initiate water conservation opportunities.
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions: Since 2010, International Paper has reduced GHGs by 8.3 percent and improved energy efficiency by 6.1 percent by improving processes, equipment, and procedures.
- Forest Stewardship: International Paper is a global leader in responsible forest stewardship and committed to continuous improvement. The company has surpassed the original goal of 15 percent third-party-certified fiber volume, with a 27.8 percent increase in certified fiber volume since 2010.
- Ethics and Compliance: In 2014, International Paper expanded the number of suppliers trained in their Supplier Code of Conduct and obtained commitments of compliance from the vast majority of suppliers globally.
To view the complete report online or to order a hard copy, please visit www.ipsustainability.com
About International Paper
International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a global leader in packaging and paper with manufacturing operations in North America, Europe, Latin America, Russia, Asia and North Africa. Its businesses include industrial and consumer packaging along with uncoated papers and pulp. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., the company employs approximately 58,000 people and is strategically located in more than 24 countries serving customers worldwide. International Paper net sales for 2014 were $24 billion. For more information about International Paper, its products and stewardship efforts, visit internationalpaper.com.
SOURCE International Paper