NEW YORK, May 6, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Did you know that 1 hour in front of your screen has the same damaging effects on your skin as 15 minutes of unprotected sun exposure? On average, we're in front of screens about 12 hours a day, and if our math serves us, that's like being in the sun for 3 hours a day for the rest of your life. Every time you check your Instagram or respond to a string of emails, you're exposing your skin to artificial blue light, and while it's somewhat of a modern threat to your complexion, it can actually impact your skin on a deeper level than UVA/UVB rays.
Enter Goodhabit to the rescue.
Built for the digitally native generation, Goodhabit is pioneering the movement in defending and protecting skin against artificial blue light and other modern-day skin stressors.
Goodhabit is the brainchild of Mariya Nurislamova, entrepreneur and CEO & Co-Founder of Scentbird, who noticed a change in her skin after the constant screen time involved with her work schedule. "I purchased a pair of blue light-blocking glasses, as my eyes were beyond strained by the end of the day, but noticed that my skin also looked off — it was dull and seemed to have a grey tint, almost as if the life had been sucked out of it. I started to wonder if blue light was affecting more just my eyesight," she said. That was motivation enough for her to research exactly what artificial blue light was doing to her complexion, and more importantly, how to combat it.
The wake-up call: It wasn't just her computer impacting her skin — it was her phone, tablet, TV, and even smartwatch that were just as culpable. All digital screens emit blue light, which can cause damage similar to that of UVA/UVB rays. Because we are constantly exposed to our devices, blue light may pose an even bigger risk than the sun. While UVA and UVB rays impact the first and second layers of skin, blue light penetrates at a deeper level and reaches the third layer, increasing the risk of dullness, discoloration, fine lines, and generally looking as tired as you feel after sitting in front of screens for hours soaking it in.
"Even scarier, we discovered that despite what consumers think, most SPFs don't offer protection against blue light damage," Nurislamova added. "Chemical sunscreens don't help at all, and only a small amount of physical sunscreens offer slight blocking protection."
In our extremely online world, unplugging simply wasn't an option, and the skincare options on the market didn't offer the level of protection to both block blue light and undo its effects, so with that, Goodhabit was born. Upon learning that over 75% of their existing consumers didn't know anything about blue light and its negative effects, Mariya joined forces with Jeniece Trizzino, VP of Product Development, to create clean, conscious solutions to such a modern problem that almost no one was talking about.
"While some products claim to counteract the effects of blue light using antioxidants, to us, that was doing nothing more than putting a band-aid on a broken arm. It was important for us to take a comprehensive approach to the issue, meaning, not only fighting the oxidative stress caused by blue light, but simultaneously reversing damage from past exposure while shielding against future damage," Trizzino said. "We looked at hundreds of ingredients in formulating our products, and found two in particular that we wanted to include. One ingredient is a marine active sourced from waters off the coast of Greenland — the rich amount of proteins and exopolysaccharides actually form a protective barrier on your skin, protecting it against blue light damage. The other is an amino acid-derived molecule sourced from a salt lake in the deserts of Egypt. In the harsh, dry environment, plants and microorganisms actually excrete the molecule to protect themselves, and we found that it stops UV-induced damage, shields cells against both invisible and visible light, and essentially creates a protective bubble around your skin to defend it against environmental damage."
When it came to formulating Goodhabit, what was put into the products was just as important as what was left out. Each product is formulated with effective, nature-derived ingredients at their core, with a side of thoroughly-vetted synthetics that are rigorously tested to ensure they are safe, effective, and won't irritate or disrupt the skin's microbiome. The brand is 100% vegan and clean, right down to the fragrances used, and each formula is free of alcohol, phthalates, animal-derived ingredients, petroleum, and synthetic scents, colors, diluents, solvents, and stabilizers.
At the heart of each product is the brand's proprietary BLU5 technology, which essentially acts as a filter to neutralize the effects of blue light, and is packed with nourishing skin-loving ingredients. It immediately goes to work to defend skin from blue light and reverse existing blue light damage in five different ways:
- Neutralizes the effects of blue light, shielding skin from future damage
- Creates youthful-looking skin, helping to smooth over fine lines and wrinkles
- Brightens skin tone, preventing and fading the look of hyperpigmentation
- Visibly improves skin's texture and helps maintain a firm, supple appearance
- Helps maintain a healthy glow by protecting skin from oxidative stress
The first collection from Goodhabit, Rescue Me, features four products that simultaneously deliver blue light protection and soothing hydration for even the most sensitive skin. Goodhabit officially launches and will be available for purchase on Goodhabitskin.com beginning May 6th, featuring the following products from the Rescue Me collection:
- Clean Scene Micellar Gel ($38) – This featherweight gel gently removes even the most stubborn makeup, as well as dirt, oil, and impurities – no rinsing required or residue left behind. The proprietary BLU5 technology minimizes and helps prevent future sings of aging caused by artificial blue light. Encapsulated hyaluronic acid beads deliver a fresh burst of hydration on contact to promote a soft, supple complexion.
- Texture Magic Exfoliating Toner ($66) – A powerful, yet ultra-gentle AHA/BHA/PHA toner that minimizes pores, evens out texture, and sloughs away dead skin cells to reveal a visibly younger, more radiant complexion. An infusion of our proprietary BLU5 technology minimizes and helps prevent future signs of aging caused by artificial blue light. This toner promotes a brighter, more radiant appearance without any dryness or irritation. Formulated at the ideal pH of 3.7, this blend of acids penetrates the skin more efficiently without stripping away natural moisture. With daily, continuous use, this clarifying complex dramatically diminishes the appearance of discolorations, uneven texture, and fine lines and wrinkles to create healthier, more youthful-looking skin.
- Glow Potion Oil Serum ($80) – This triple-layered elixir combines the powerful effects of an oil, serum and essence into one do-it-all formula, while our proprietary BLU5 technology minimizes and helps prevent future signs of aging caused by artificial blue light. The top layer is packed with antioxidant-rich oils that infuse skin with moisture, while repairing damage, restoring elasticity, and imparting a rejuvenated look and feel. The serum phase helps prevent water loss, locks in hydration, and strengthens the skin's moisture barrier. The rejuvenating essence phase plumps up ﬁne lines, fades dark spots, and provides intense hydration. Instantly, skin looks and feels smoother, softer, and more hydrated with a radiant glow.
- Water Jelly Dew Cream ($55) – This quick-absorbing gel-cream is packed with over 20% humectants to provide heavyweight hydration with a lightweight feel, while our BLU5 technology minimizes and helps prevent future signs of aging caused by artiﬁcial blue light. The refreshing formula delivers a burst of hydration on contact, releasing a flood of weightless moisture that provides instant relief to dry, sensitive skin. Immediately, skin is softer, smoother and more radiant with a dewy glow. Over time, ﬁne lines are diminished, facial contours are smoothed, and skin's elasticity is improved to reveal a younger, healthier-looking complexion.