NEW YORK, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation and InvestmentNews presented the fourth annual Community Leadership Awards on September 14, 2010, at the Cipriani, 42nd Street in New York City. Financial advisors from across the industry were recognized during this event for their leadership and commitment to making a positive difference in their communities. Additionally, over 75 financial services companies were represented at this event.
The event's keynote speakers Sean and Leigh Ann Tuohy (the couple who inspired the best-selling book and major motion picture The Blind Side), spoke about their philosophy of giving and thanked the advisors for their commitment to improving their communities.
"Each day, financial advisors across the country touch the lives of so many people both through their professional and charitable activities. In the process, they leave a lasting and positive impact on their communities," said Kandis Bates, President of the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation. "It is an honor to pay tribute to advisors whose hard work, generosity and unswerving commitment to community involvement have so greatly enriched the lives of others."
"After reviewing hundreds of nominations of financial advisors who routinely give generously of their time, talents, and resources, selecting a handful of finalists proved to be quite difficult," said Suzanne Siracuse, VP/Publisher of InvestmentNews and a member of the board of directors of the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation. "Our judges were inspired and humbled by the positive impact financial advisors make each and every day in their communities. This year's finalists truly represent what is best about the financial services industry."
Awards were presented in the following five categories: Community Service, Global Community Impact, Mentoring Excellence, Volunteer Team and Volunteer of the Year. The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation presented a donation of $15,000 to each category honoree's charity and a $3,500 donation to all category finalists' charities. The category honorees include:
- For Community Service: John P. Hyland of Morristown, New Jersey serves as Managing Partner at Morristown Financial Group, affiliated with LPL Financial, and was honored for his work with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of New Jersey.
- For Global Community Impact: Paul R. Martel of West Hartford, Connecticut is President and Founder of YHB Investment Advisors Inc., affiliated with Charles Schwab and Pershing Advisor Solutions, and was honored for his support of Centro Medico Integral "Dulce Refugio."
- For Mentoring Excellence: Merrill Lynch First Vice President Bill Sparks of San Diego, California was honored for his service for Los Angelitos de Encinitas.
- For Volunteer Team: The North Star Resource Group Team of Minneapolis, Minnesota, affiliated with Securian Financial, was honored for its work with Scott Richards North Star Charitable Foundation.
- For Volunteer of the Year: Mike Berry of Grand Junction, Colorado is a Partner with Colorado West Financial Partners, affiliated with Cambridge Investment Research, and was honored for his work with Kids Aid.
The Community Leadership Awards accepted hundreds of nominations of financial advisors from over 85 different broker/dealers and custodians for their roles as leaders and active volunteers in community organizations. The organizations benefiting from the involvement of dedicated financial advisors represent a broad range of important humanitarian causes, including education, housing, medical research, after-school programs, violence prevention and many more.
About the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation:
Established in 2006, the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation is a registered 501 (c)(3) charity founded with the mission of encouraging and supporting the philanthropic and volunteer activities of financial advisors in their local communities. As mentors, volunteers, fundraisers and leaders, financial professionals lend their unique skills and perspectives to the challenges and opportunities facing their neighbors. Invest in Others is proud to support and promote these efforts to better our world one community at a time. For more information, visit www.investinothers.org.
Published by Crain Communications Inc, InvestmentNews covers developments that affect the business of financial advisors, including news of industry trends and competition, legislation, people, products, suppliers and technology. It also covers the economy, retirement issues, taxes, estate planning and investments including mutual funds, equities, bonds, alternatives and real estate. In addition to news, InvestmentNews organizes dozens of webcasts, roundtables and conferences throughout the year, bringing together financial advisors with key industry experts. InvestmentNews' main office is located in New York, with offices in Chicago, Detroit, San Francisco and Washington, D.C. For more information, visit www.investmentnews.com.
Joseph Kuo and Amy Auth
Invest in Others Charitable Foundation
646-522-2174 and 704-733-3578
SOURCE Invest in Others Charitable Foundation