NEW YORK, Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation hosted the seventh annual Community Leadership Awards on September 19, 2013, at Cipriani, 42nd Street in New York City. Financial advisors from across the industry were recognized during this event for their leadership and commitment to making a positive impact on their communities.
"Invest in Others is proud to celebrate the accomplishments of financial advisors from across our industry who have given of themselves to help others," said Heather Carter, president, Invest in Others Charitable Foundation. "Their stories of hope and determination exemplify the spirit of Invest in Others and the power of a single individual to make a profound and lasting difference in the lives of others."
"After reviewing hundreds of nominations from financial advisors who give generously of their time, talents, and resources, selecting a handful of finalists was more difficult than ever," said Suzanne Siracuse, VP/Publisher of InvestmentNews and a director of the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation. "Our judges were inspired and humbled by the difference these financial advisors make each and every day in their communities. This year's finalists truly represent what is best about the financial services industry."
Awards were presented in the following five categories: Community Service, Global Community Impact, Mentoring Excellence, Volunteer Team and Volunteer of the Year. The Invest in Others Charitable Foundation presented a donation of $20,000 to each category honoree's charity and a $5,000 donation to all category finalists' charities. The category honorees include:
- For Community Service: Bruce E. Fyfe of Clearwater, FL (executive vice president of ProVise Management Group, LLC, affiliated with NFP Securities) was honored for his work with Homeless Emergency Project, Inc. (HEP).
- For Global Community Impact: Jessica Jones of The Woodlands, TX (financial advisor with Edward Jones) was honored for her work with Casa Para Ninos Aleluya.
- For Mentoring Excellence: Brett W. Hoge of Winston-Salem, NC (senior managing director with BB&T Scott & Stringfellow, affiliated with BB&T Securities) for his work with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Winston-Salem.
- For Volunteer Team: Chris Kittrell of Knoxville, TN (partner at Rather and Kittrell Capital Management, affiliated with Fidelity Investments) and his team at Rather and Kittrell for their work with Mission of Hope.
- For Volunteer of the Year: Michael J. Swallow of Cleveland, OH (senior vice president at CBIZ Retirement Plan Services, affiliated with CBIZ Financial Solutions) for his work with The Northeast Ohio Foundation for Patriotism (NEOPAT).
Major Dan Rooney, USAF (Retired), founder of non-profit The Folds of Honor Foundation, served as the event's keynoter. Major Rooney has raised over $29 million and has awarded nearly 5,000 educational scholarships to the family members of soldiers killed or disabled in combat.
The Community Leadership Awards accepted hundreds of nominations for financial advisors from over 70 different broker/dealers and custodians. The organizations benefiting from the involvement of dedicated financial advisors represent a broad range of important humanitarian causes, including education, mentoring, counseling , hunger relief, after-school programs, community building and many more.
Following this year's awards dinner, Invest in Others honorees and finalists visited the NASDAQ MarketSite in New York City's Time Square on Friday, September 20. In honor of the occasion, Heather Carter and Bill Dwyer, Chairman of Invest in Others, rang the Bell.
About the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation
Established in 2006, the Invest in Others Charitable Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) charity founded with the mission of encouraging and supporting the philanthropic and volunteer activities of financial advisors in their local communities. The Invest in Others mission is achieved through a community-based approach to philanthropy that seeks to strengthen neighborhoods from within by empowering those who are committed to serving others in their professional and personal lives. As mentors, volunteers, fundraisers and leaders, financial advisors lend their unique skills and perspectives to the challenges and opportunities facing their neighbors. Invest in Others is proud to support and promote these efforts to better our world one community at a time. For more information, visit www.investinothers.org.
SOURCE Invest in Others Charitable Foundation