ATLANTA, April 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Government, public safety, transportation, utilities and enterprises rely on communications technology to keep the public safe, everything powered, communities moving, employees working and our lives and businesses working properly. Last week at the International Wireless Communications Expo (IWCE) over 7,000 communications technology professionals gathered in Las Vegas to learn, network and see new, innovative technologies from more than 400 exhibitors, 100 of which were new to the event.
Stephanie McCall, Show Director, IWCE said, "Over the past 40 years IWCE has evolved from a dealer- only show to a communications technology event. The response we received from attendees and exhibitors last week shows that IWCE is as relevant as ever. We continue to be committed to delivering outstanding education and a platform for technologies innovators to showcase their technology. This is a very exciting time for our industry. We are thrilled to play a role providing a forum for critical communications technology professionals."
The First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) partner announcement was the buzz among event attendees. FirstNet was featured throughout the expo hall and conference program. In addition, TJ Kennedy, president of FirstNet delivered a keynote address discussing the latest updates to the nationwide public safety broadband network. To view the video, click here. The week's biggest announcement was made Thursday morning in Washington, D.C., by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross, who announced that FirstNet would sign a 25-year contract to AT&T to build and maintain the nationwide public-safety broadband network. To read more about the latest news on FirstNet, visit http://www.urgentcomm.com. Leaders from FirstNet then held a Town Hall at IWCE on Thursday afternoon to discuss the announcement further. Click here to view the video.
IWCE 2017 was co-located with IWCE's Network Infrastructure Forum, which brought together the industry's wired and wireless players to examine communications technology infrastructure, and ETA International's Education Forum, which offered nine training courses in popular technology areas along with certification.
The Exhibit Hall showcased the latest products and services in hardware, networks, applications, interoperability and integration that drive communications systems. In addition, an Apps Center and IWCE's Wearable Pavilion within the Exhibit Hall showcased the hottest technology innovations in these areas.
The Conference Program offered five days of unparalleled professional development opportunities on topics such as drones, IoT, 5G, smart cities, NG911, network densification, broadband applications, smart cities, cybersecurity and network jamming detection. Dr. Preston Marshall, Technical Program Manager, Spectrum Access Technology, Google, delivered the Opening Keynote Address and Donny Jackson of IWCE's Urgent Communications was joined by industry thought leaders from Motorola, pdvwireless, Verizon and Citrix to discuss "Everything is Changing – The Next Generation of Connectivity."
IWCE also celebrated the retirement and 60-year public service career of Chief Harlin McEwen with a Lifetime Achievement Award. McEwen is currently the Chairman of the FirstNet's Public Safety Advisory Committee and has had a remarkable story of public safety service, as both a law enforcement officer and administrator. He has been an advocate for public safety telecommunications issues and the "unquestionable lobbying leader for public safety to Congress and the FCC."
Other special features included:
- For the third year in a row, IWCE's free Town Hall Meetings showcased the latest initiatives from government and association partners. Participating organizations included DHS's Science and Technology Directorate, DHS's Office of Emergency Communications (OEC) and the National Governors Association (NGA), NG911 NOW Coalition, NPSTC and FirstNet.
- The Job Training and Education Center assisted industry professionals interested in new employment. IWCE's partners discussed job training, continuing education and career planning.
- AT&T hosted the "Broadband Applications for Critical Communication Environments" partner event to showcase how AT&T and other companies are collaborating to offer essential applications to meet critical operational and emergency use case requirements.
- The Wireless Innovation Forum hosted a full-day workshop on the Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS), which can create massive increases in spectrum sharing opportunities, among other assets.
- The first annual IWCE Young Professionals Award winners were also celebrated at the event. These individuals showcase the next-generation of leaders in the communications technology industry who are shaping the future of the industry.
- In collaboration with ETA International, Association of Federal Communications Consulting Engineers (AFCCE) and Radio Club of America (RCA), IWCE brought students and veterans to the event to offer them access to industry education, a robust expo hall hosting new and innovative technologies and thought leaders in the communications technology marketplace they will gain the contacts and skills they need to advance their careers.
IWCE was the place to be as numerous partner organizations held meetings during the event, including DMR Association, NXDN, NPSTC, the Wireless Innovation Forum, Government Wireless Technology Communications Association, TETRA Today, Department of Homeland Security, and Radio Club of America.
IWCE 2018 will take place March 5-9, 2018 in Orlando, Florida. To learn more, visit www.iwceexpo.com
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS EXPO (IWCE)
Since 1977, the International Wireless Communications Expo (IWCE) has been the premier annual event for communications technology professionals. IWCE features over 400 exhibitors showcasing the latest products and trends in the industry. Over 7,000 individuals attend from a diverse group of industry professionals including government/military, public safety, utility, transportation and business enterprise. IWCE 2017 will be held March 5-9, 2018 in Orlando. For more information, visit www.iwceexpo.com.
IWCE is part of Informa, the international business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events group. Informa serves commercial, professional and academic communities, helping them connect and learn, and creating and providing access to content and intelligence that helps people and businesses work smarter and make better decisions faster.
Informa has over 7,500 colleagues in more than 20 countries and a presence in all major geographies. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Director of Marketing
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/iwce-2017-drew-more-than-7000-communications-technology-professionals-300435854.html
SOURCE International Wireless Communications Expo (IWCE)