MAHWAH, N.J., April 28, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Jaguar Land Rover North America will extend its support of the 2016 Invictus Games in Orlando, Florida as lead sponsor of the U.S. Team, which will compete against 13 other nations' teams in the multi-sport event for Wounded, Ill and Injured Service Members, May 8-12.
Jaguar Land Rover, presenting partner of the inaugural games in London 2014 and this year's games in Orlando, will continue its commitment to the Games by renewing its role as sponsors of the UK team.
"Jaguar Land Rover is proud to back the U.S. armed forces teams to compete in the Invictus Games in Orlando this May," said Joe Eberhardt, President and CEO, Jaguar Land Rover, North America, LLC. "The men and women on the U.S. team, as well as those on the competing teams of other nations, represent the courage, determination and bravery of our armed forces, and we wish them the best of luck in Orlando."
The Invictus Games use the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and generate a wider understanding and respect for Wounded, Ill and Injured Service Members. Launched in 2014 by Prince Harry, the second edition of the Games will take place from May 8-12, 2016 at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando. Earlier this month, Prince Harry himself passed the Invictus Games Flag to U.S. team captain Will Reynolds at Buckingham Palace. That flag will tour the United States prior to the Games, making stops at the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, the UK Embassy and White House in Washington, D.C. and more, before its final stop in Orlando.
"I am so proud to be leading the U.S. team in Orlando this year," said Reynolds. "The Games celebrate the determination that each and every one of these competitors have shown in the face of true challenges."
Reynolds will lead the US team of 115 athletes, competing across 10 sports. The rigorous selection process was based on the benefit the Invictus Games will give an individual as part of their recovery, combined with performance and commitment to training. The full U.S. team will begin training later this month in Tampa, Florida.
In addition to their partnership with both the Games and the U.S. and UK Teams, Jaguar Land Rover will also provide all competing nations with the first opportunity to win an Invictus Games 2016 medal through the Driving Challenge which takes place on May 7. Two team members from all 11 competing nations will take on the role of driver and navigator in the two time-trials which make up the challenge. Each pair will compete in both the Jaguar XE and Land Rover Discovery Sport, testing their communication, team-work and strategic planning skills.
Jaguar Land Rover's commitment to the Armed Forces and Veteran community was further extended last week as details of the new Jaguar Land Rover CALIBRE Partnership were announced. This collaboration will fund the training and hiring of 180 U.S. Service Members this year across North American retailers, and follows the recruitment of over 200 Transitioning Service Members, Veterans, and currently serving members of the National Guard and Reserve in the UK since 2013.
The Invictus Games are the only international adaptive sporting event for Wounded, Ill, and Injured WII Service Members, both serving and veteran. The inaugural Invictus Games, held in London in September 2014, saw over 400 competitors from 13 nations compete in nine sports. Invictus Games Orlando 2016 will see 500 competitors from 14 nations compete in 10 sports including Athletics; Archery; Indoor Rowing; Powerlifting; Road Cycling; Sitting Volleyball; Swimming; Track and Field; Wheelchair Basketball; Wheelchair Rugby, and a new sport for 2016, Wheelchair Tennis.
About Jaguar Land Rover
- The United States is one of the leading global markets for both Jaguar and Land Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover employs 32,000 people and sells vehicles in 170 countries around the world
- Jaguar Land Rover has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and Four advanced manufacturing plants in the UK
- Headquartered in Mahwah, New Jersey in the United States, Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has offices across the USA
- Jaguar Land Rover is represented by more than 330 independently operated retail outlets in the USA
About Jaguar Land Rover and its support of Invictus Games Orlando 2016 and the North America Veteran Recruitment program
- Jaguar Land Rover is proud to be the presenting partner of the Invictus Games Orlando 2016, the international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women using sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and generate a wider understanding and respect of those who serve the country.
About CALIBRE Systems
- CALIBRE Systems, Inc. is an employee-owned management consulting and information technology solutions company supporting government and industry. CALIBRE is committed to the success of our clients, and delivers enduring solutions that solve management, technology, and program challenges.
- CALIBRE is a leading provider of management consulting and information technology solutions serving clients in the public and private sectors - Defense, Federal / Civil and Commercial corporations.
About Jaguar Land Rover's support of military Veterans in the UK
- An Armed Forces Covenant is a written and publicised voluntary pledge from businesses and charitable organisations who wish to demonstrate their concrete support for the Armed Forces community. Jaguar Land Rover signed its Covenant in July 2014.
- Since 2013 Jaguar Land Rover has hired some 200 former servicemen and servicewomen, working closely with the Career Transition Partnership, the Ministry of Defence's (MoD's) official provider of Armed Forces resettlement. 100 of the Veterans have been employed over the past year.
- The company has a growing number of initiatives, including a work placement scheme, launched in October 2014 in conjunction with the Ministry of Defence's Career Transition Partnership (Assist) and Mission Motorsport - The Armed Forces' Motorsport Charity. The scheme helps wounded, injured and sick veterans find a fulfilling and long-term second career. To date, 17 placements have been run, leading to 13 full-time jobs at Jaguar Land Rover and its suppliers.
Information about Jaguar North America products is available to consumers at www.jaguarusa.com
Go to www.us.media.jaguar.com for news releases, high-resolution photographs and broadcast quality video footage
Information about Land Rover North America products is available to consumers at www.landroverusa.com
Go to www.us.media.landrover.com for news releases, high-resolution photographs and broadcast quality video footage
Visit www.jlrvets.com for more Information about the Jaguar Land Rover Veterans Careers Program
SOURCE Jaguar Land Rover North America