AUBURN HILLS, Mich., June 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Going once, going twice, SOLD! It'll be an automobile enthusiast's dream come true as guests of the inaugural Walter P. Chrysler Legacy Gala will have an opportunity to bid on extraordinary experiences – including a day with Richard Petty and a private tour of Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage – in silent and live auctions during the Saturday, July 24 event.
Held at the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, in Auburn Hills, the 7:00 – 11:00 p.m. Legacy Gala will celebrate 85 years of Chrysler heritage and honor four automotive and entertainment icons – who will all be in attendance – with the Walter P. Chrysler Legacy Award: Former Chrysler Chairman and CEO Lee Iacocca; Tonight Show Host and Car Collector Jay Leno; and NASCAR Champion Richard Petty. Former Chrysler Design Chief Virgil Exner will be inducted posthumously, represented by his son Virgil Exner, Jr.
A limited number of gala tickets are available for public purchase online at www.wpchryslermuseum.org and by phone at 800-987-9807. Gala tickets, benefiting the nonprofit Museum, are $500 per person, a significant portion of which is tax-deductible.
The silent and live auctions are just one highlight of an amazing event that will begin with a strolling dinner throughout the Museum's three floors and feature the inaugural Walter P. Chrysler Legacy Circle induction ceremony of Iacocca, Leno, Petty and Exner; a full-length performance donated by Jay Leno and a dessert and coffee afterglow.
Among the particularly remarkable items up for auction, with proceeds benefiting the Museum, are:
- A Day with Richard Petty – hold court with "The King," in North Carolina, and tour Petty's Garage; visit the Richard Petty Museum with exhibits spotlighting his career; get a behind-the-scenes look at Richard Petty Motorsports and four of NASCAR's most popular teams and drivers: Kasey Kahne, AJ Allmendinger, Elliott Sadler and Paul Menard; and visit Victory Junction Gang Camp, serving children with serious illnesses on 84 acres of land donated by Richard and Lynda Petty.
- Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage and Tickets to "The Tonight Show" – take a private tour of Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage in southern California featuring one of the world's greatest car collections. The 17,000 square-foot custom-built garage has enough space to work on a dozen cars and, with nearly a quarter of the space occupied by a machine shop, is one of the best-equipped private garages on the planet. End the day in "The Tonight Show" audience, enjoying the merriment that has made Leno America's late-night leader for nearly two decades.
- Chrysler Tech Center Behind-the-Scenes Tour – enjoy a casual stroll with Ralph Gilles, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dodge Car Brand and Senior Vice President of Product Design, Chrysler Group LLC into the massive Chrysler Technology Center, in Auburn Hills, for a peek into the inner-workings of the automaker's design office, engineering labs and other key areas, including the wind tunnel.
- Chrysler Historical Vehicle Collection Behind-the-Scenes Tour – talk shop with Brandt Rosenbusch, Manager of the Chrysler Historical Vehicle Collection, while marveling at more than 250 heritage vehicles tucked away in this private automotive oasis. Enjoy a fascinating history lesson while exploring a wide range of models in various stages of restoration.
- SRT Track Experience at the Michigan International Speedway – enjoy an entire day of full-throttle action! The SRT Track Experience includes guidance by professional instructors from the Richard Petty Driving Experience to ensure fun and top-level instruction in a safe and structured setting through four driving modules: Autocross, Full-Throttle Challenge, Hot Laps and Performance Driving.
- 2011 Daytona 500 all exclusive weekend passes – experience a trackside view of "The Great American Race" on Sunday, Feb. 20, 2011 at the Daytona International Speedway, Daytona, FL. The very special weekend passes include tickets and two VIP credentials for the Daytona 500 Race.
"We have some unbelievable auction items for the inaugural Legacy Gala, and you don't have to be a die-hard auto enthusiast to appreciate and understand that these are truly once-in-a-lifetime experiences," said W. Frank Fountain, Chairman of the Board, Walter P. Chrysler Museum Foundation. "All items are donated at no cost to the Museum, and we could not be more thrilled with the generosity of our contributors."
Visit www.wpchryslermuseum.org for auction item updates and complete Legacy Gala information, including details about Contribution Opportunity packages offering additional gala enjoyment, such as an exclusive pre-gala reception attended by the inductees, posed photos with inductees at several giving levels and more. A significant portion of each Legacy Gala contribution is tax-deductible.
SOURCE Walter P. Chrysler Museum