DETROIT, Jan. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The road toward more lightweight and sustainable solutions for vehicles continues to drive interior innovations, and Johnson Controls, a global multi-industrial company, unveiled its most recent solutions at the 2015 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) at Detroit's Cobo Center.
"Helping automakers meet the upcoming industry environmental and fuel economy requirements has been a key driver of our interior product and process innovations," said Han Hendriks, vice president, advanced product development and sales, Johnson Controls Automotive Interiors. "We continuously work to develop new process technologies and advanced, competitive products to meet the needs of our customers."
Some of the latest processes and products include:
- CHyM – compression hybrid molding – a single-step, lightweight and renewable process technology, utilized in the development of door panels, floor consoles and instrument panels with a 40 percent weight reduction and increased stability
- Two Color Foil – enables a two-color surface on one piece of cover stock, giving the door panel a more luxurious look and reducing its overall mass
- Thin TPO Foil – Foam-in-Place – an industry-leading lightweight skin solution which represents a significant mass reduction of 50 to 70 percent, that provides a durable, blemish-free surface with no scoring needed, guaranteeing a quality appearance
- Soft Tambour Door Armrest – a wrapped, soft-surface component, with up to 30 percent weight savings, enhances styling and craftsmanship with new horizontal and vertical adjustability for improved occupant comfort; and
- Slim Overhead Console – offers the functions of a traditional overhead console with a 55 to 80 percent overall size reduction compared to conventional components, creating a more spacious feel
An event sponsor and exhibitor, this is the 21st year that Johnson Controls is involved in the NAIAS. Its exhibit will be open to media and invited guests.
NAIAS – one of the world's premier automotive exhibitions – opens to the media and industry officials on Monday, Jan. 12. It will open to the public from Saturday, Jan. 17 through Sunday, Jan. 25. For more information, please visit: www.naias.com.
About Johnson Controls:
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 170,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful. In 2014, Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Johnson Controls as the #12company in its annual "100 Best Corporate Citizens" list. For additional information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.
About Johnson Controls Automotive:
Johnson Controls is a global leader in automotive seating, overhead systems, floor consoles, door panels and instrument panels. We support all major automakers in the differentiation of their vehicles through our products, technologies and advanced manufacturing capabilities. With more than 220 plants worldwide, we are where our customers need us to be. Consumers have enjoyed the comfort and style of our products, from single components to complete interiors. With our global capability, we supply approximately 50 million cars per year.
Editor's Note: Images are available at www.johnsoncontrols-naias.com.
SOURCE Johnson Controls