ROCKVILLE, Md., Aug. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Fast results, automated features on clinical testing instruments, enhanced software were on display at the world's largest meeting of lab professionals and the in vitro diagnostic and lab supply companies that support them. The American Association of Clinical Chemistry was held last week at San Diego and nearly 800 exhibitors displayed new products and new features of existing systems. According to Kalorama Information, a New York City-based healthcare market research firm, features that increased productivity and reduced costs for labs were a noticeable trend at the Clinical Expo where lab professionals view new IVD products and supplies.
"Where once it was all about how accurate and effective testing technology was, and that's still important, cost-containment and staffing pressures are an evident influence in new product decisions," said Bruce Carlson, Publisher of Kalorama Information. "Most often, we were seeing products featuring their time-saving benefits. Time to result, 'walk away time' savings, reducing bottlenecks and increasing productivity were key selling points of these systems."
Examples of products offering faster results and automated process:
- Sample Management and Analysis Combined: Siemens Healthineers's Atellica Solution, launched last year, has received 501-k clearance and was on display at the meeting. The system is comprised of sample management and immunoassay and chemistry analyzer components. It can combine up to 10 components into more than 300 customizable configurations – including linear, L and U shapes. With an immunoassay analyzer that runs up to 440 tests per hour, the Atellica Solution is suitable for mid-and high-volume labs. The product was displayed as a stand-alone system at AACC 2017 and connected to Aptio Automation to demonstrate a comprehensive multi-disciplinary solution. The company also showcased its complete POC informatics portfolio with offerings for secure connectivity to more than 160 devices from over 40 vendors. The solutions are designed to streamline operations and centrally manage all POCT devices.
- Three Instruments, One Tube Loader: Sebia's automated portfolio, the CAPILLARYS 3 TERA, CAPILLARYS 2 Flex Piercing, and MINICAP Flex Piercing systems, provide what the company says is full walkaway capability. The test menu includes serum & urine* protein and immunotyping, hemoglobinopathy*, CDT, and HbA1c. CAPILLARYS 3 MC2, the first automated capillary separation system with work cell capabilities. Their CAPILLARYS 3 MC2, combines two CAPILLARYS 3 instruments with a tube loader, capacity of 712 samples, for maximum walk away time. The system can a dedicated or multi-assay system with up to three CAPILLARYS 3 instruments connected to one tube loader. The addition of the tube loader with the CAPILLARYS 3 MC, allows for added capacity and work cell productivity.
- Cutting Bottlenecks in Immunoassay Testing: Roche's cobas® e 801 module is what the company describes to be the most powerful immunoassay analyzer Roche has engineered to date. Built for the growing lab, this standardized platform eliminates testing bottlenecks with nearly double the throughput in the same footprint as its predecessor; perfects reagent management with 48 channels, features on-the-fly loading and 112-day on-board stability, and requires up to six times less blood from the smallest patients.
- Faster A1C results: The Alere Afinion™ AS100 Analyzer is a multi-assay analyzer system able to provide A1C results that are CLIA Waived in 3 minutes and ACR (Albumin/Creatinine Ratio) results in 5 minutes.
- 9 Minute Cardiac Markers: Elecsys® TnT Gen 5 assay is intended to aid in the diagnosis of myocardial infarction (MI). As the only high-sensitive Troponin assay in the U.S. and designed to offer excellent precision, the assay delivers accurate results in only 9 minutes, enabling clinicians to accurately diagnose patients with a suspected heart attack
- Cell Counting Automation: GloCyte® Automated Cell Counter for CSF GloCyte® Automated Cell Counter for CSF: The FDA cleared analyzer delivers consistent TNC and RBC counts and timely turnaround with just 30 µL of sample per test. GloCyte uses a novel combination of fluorescence and imaging technology with linearity down to 0 cells/µL and a limit of detection of 1 cell/µL for both TNC and RBC
- Small Footprint, Big Productivity: SK™500 Clinical Chemistry System. The SK™500 is a chemistry system from a global leader in clinical chemistry reagents. A high-efficiency system combined with SEKURE® assay performance, it is ideal for moderate-volume laboratories. The SK500 provides exceptional throughput and with minimal use of space and water. The system delivers up to 580 tests per hour in a small footprint
- More Walk Away Time: Avioq, Inc.'s new VioOne™ Chemiluminescent Immunoassays and Analyzers for markets accepting CE Mark products. Instrument options include a benchtop and floor models (CLx60, CLx120 and CLX280) with an extensive test menu >70 different assays. Models have continuous loading, liquid level detection, auto sample dilution, on-board refrigeration and barcode reader support, LIS/HIS connection, and instrument calibration stability of 2-4 weeks. Three option modes: random, batch and STAT offer the flexibility for any lab to adjust workflow. Analyzers offer up to 6 hours walkaway time depending on the specific model.
- Fast Sorting, Regardless of Analyzer Brand: The Sarstedt BL 1200 ID is a modular accessioning and sorting instrument that can be used in conjunction with any analytical platform. The unit features a Bulk Loader that eliminates manual sorting and pre-racking. Multiple tube sizes and types are accepted, and capped tubes are simply poured into the loader for walk-away processing. Tubes are automatically singularized and the tube type and barcode are identified. Sort and distribution rules are customized to targeted racks and centrifuge adapters or to bulk bins. Up to 1,200 tubes can be processed per hour, and an optional Pick and Place module allows the BL 1200 ID to be connected to a track system.
- Better Pipette Control: Artel's new Pipette Calibration System (PCS). With ergonomic instrument design, intuitive software, and robust dashboard reporting, the PCS offers a powerful way to manage your handheld pipettes across your entire organization. The new training module allows for conducting and documenting pipetting skills assessments. Operators and reviewers can sign off electronically on all results and reports, for a smooth workflow that eliminates paper. The PCS provides all features required for use in laboratories that comply with CAP, CLIA, CLSI, ISO, and 21 CFR Part 11 regulations - from pipettes to operators, traceability to productivity, and calibration to certification.
- Automation Features on Cell Washing System: Thermo Scientific™ CW3 Cell Washer - Precise, automated performance – designed to provide thorough, reproducible blood cell washing, up to 24 tubes per run.
Kalorama Information has attended the AACC meeting for nearly two decades. The market researcher's reports are based on primary research conducted with conversations with exhibitors and end-users. Kalorama is a healthcare-only market research publisher and does not publish reports in other fields. IVD and biotechnology are particular specialties.
A listing of Kalorama's reports in diagnostics can be found here: https://www.kaloramainformation.com/diagnostics-market-c1125/
About Kalorama Information
Kalorama Information, a division of MarketResearch.com, supplies the latest in independent medical market research in diagnostics, biotech, pharmaceuticals, medical devices and healthcare; as well as a full range of custom research services. Reports can be purchased through Kalorama's website and are also available on www.marketresearch.com and www.profound.com.
We routinely assist the media with healthcare topics. Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and our blog on our company website.
Please link any media or news references to our reports or data to http://www.kaloramainformation.com/.
212 807 2262
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kalorama-information-quest-for-speed-evident-in-ivd-offerings-at-aacc-2017-meeting-300503361.html
SOURCE Kalorama Information