IRVINE, Calif., June 9 /PRNewswire/ -- Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced its proprietary, intelligent in-car communications and entertainment system, "UVO powered by Microsoft®," was honored with the 2009-2010 Industry Newcomer Award at the annual Telematics Update Awards Conference, the world's biggest forum for telematics industry leaders that recognizes achievement and innovation within the telematics market. Scheduled to roll out in select Kia models during the 2010 calendar year, UVO provides Kia drivers friendly voice- and touch-activated experiences for hands-free mobile phone and SMS text operation as well as simple, intuitive management of music files. The Industry Newcomer Award gives recognition to this year's best new product and/or company in telematics and brings to the fore new ventures that have shown true potential and innovation in the telematics field. Kia Motors also was named a finalist for the Car Manufacturer Innovation Award.
"UVO powered by Microsoft® is a breakthrough for in-vehicle infotainment and another solid example of why Kia is a true tier-one automotive brand," says Michael Sprague, vice president, marketing, KMA. "With UVO, Kia is able to offer drivers a rich telematic experience and a clear competitive advantage, allowing Kia drivers to safely and easily use all of their personal technologies and create personalized in-car communications and entertainment experiences."
Co-developed with Microsoft® and based on Windows Embedded Auto software, UVO is an easy-to-use, hands-free solution that allows drivers and passengers to answer and place phone calls, receive and respond to SMS text messages, access music from a variety of media sources and create custom music experiences. Understanding drivers want and need intuitive controls, Kia Motors and Microsoft® designed UVO to enable a new level of voice recognition through Microsoft® speech technology. Drivers of Kia vehicles equipped with UVO can access media content and connect with people through simple, quick voice commands without having to navigate through menus. By supporting complex grammar, UVO needs only short voice commands to connect drivers and passengers with their desired functions. An interactive system, UVO responds to inquiries such as "What's playing?" and provides audible answers and related functions, helping to keep drivers' eyes safely focused on the road ahead of them.
UVO also brings advancements to in-car technology through an immersive user experience. The interface features a 4.3-inch, full-color display that provides detailed information on media content, phonebook data and vehicle information, and the screen also doubles as a rear-view camera when the shifter is put in reverse. UVO is an open platform that seamlessly integrates with a wide variety of mobile phones, music players and other devices, making it easy for drivers to quickly pair devices.
Based on the award-winning Windows Embedded Auto platform, UVO can be updated easily as new consumer devices continue to be introduced to the market. Many Kia vehicles, like the 2011 Sorento, Soul, Forte and Forte KOUP already come standard and at no extra cost with Bluetooth®(2) wireless technology connectivity, iPod®(3)/MP3/USB connectivity, and a three-month SIRIUS® satellite radio subscription(4).
Key Features of UVO powered by Microsoft:
- Advanced Speech Recognition: Intelligent Microsoft® speech technology is trained to the system operator's voice, creating a personal profile and allowing for up to two different voice profiles in various languages. Support for large grammar commands and faster response time means the content is delivered when you ask for it. Kia Motors' UVO system is the first in-vehicle solution to integrate full Microsoft® speech engine technology.
- Natural Interface Advancements: A full-color, easy-to-use in-dash monitor allows occupants to quickly scroll through media and mobile device content through intuitive voice and touch-screen commands.
- Custom Media Experiences with MyMusic: UVO's "Jukebox" function features a 1GB hard drive for media storage, allowing users to rip music from CDs or an MP3 player into personal MyMusic folders and store up to 250 songs sorted by title and/or artist – all through voice commands. The system can shuffle through an MP3 player or AM/FM and SIRIUS® radio stations and instantly identify what's playing all through simple voice commands.
- Rear Backup Camera: When the vehicle is put in reverse, a built-in rear backup camera uses UVO's in-dash display to provide clearer images of the environment behind the car assisting the driver to identify certain objects that otherwise may be difficult to see.
- Ability to Continuously Update Features and Services: Based on a flexible Windows Embedded Auto platform, updates and services can be delivered in a number of ways (over-the-air, over-the-Web) for Kia to continue to provide a superior user experience after the system enters the market.
Kia Motors America in 2010
Kia Motors is in the midst of a dramatic, design-led transformation, which has been delivering dynamically styled vehicles in several important segments at exactly the right time, contributing to the brand's continued gains in U.S. market share. With four new vehicle introductions and several other key initiatives planned for 2010, Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, safety features and with new technology such as UVO powered by Microsoft® infotainment system (expected to be available in select Kia models in the U.S. beginning in summer 2010). The launch of the 2011 Sorento CUV, the official vehicle of the NBA and the first vehicle to be assembled(5) at Kia's first U.S.-based manufacturing facilities in West Point, Georgia, further enhances the lineup, and is now in dealerships.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 670 dealers throughout the United States. For 2009, KMA recorded its 15th consecutive year of increased U.S. market share and recently achieved its best quarter of sales ever. Kia Motors subscribes to a philosophy of building high value, high quality, safe and dynamic vehicles. Kia Motors prides itself on producing vehicles that are exciting and enabling and evoke the Kia tagline "The Power to Surprise."
Kia Motors America is the "Official Automotive Partner of the NBA." Information about Kia Motors America and its full vehicle line-up is available at its Web site – www.kia.com. For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com.
(1) Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
(2) The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Kia is under license. A BLUETOOTH® Wireless Technology-enabled cell phone is required to use BLUETOOTH® wireless technology.
(3) Optional Kia accessory cable required for iPod® mobile digital device connectivity. Cable and iPod® sold separately. iPod® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
(4) SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. SIRIUS Radio requires a subscription, sold separately after 3-month trial subscription included with vehicle purchase. Prices and programming are provided by SIRIUS and are subject to change. Subscriptions governed by SIRIUS Terms & Conditions available at sirius.com. SIRIUS Radio U.S. service available only to those at least 18 years of age in the 48 contiguous United States, D.C., and Puerto Rico (with coverage limitations).
(5) Kia vehicles assembled at the Kia U.S. plant are assembled in the U.S. with U.S. and globally sourced parts.
SOURCE Kia Motors America