LONDON, April 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Land Rover announces three year sponsorship as a Series Main Partner of the Extreme Sailing SeriesTM, one of the world's most premium and spectacular global sailing competitions
- A natural fit: Land Rover's all-terrain vehicles and the Extreme 40 Catamarans can take on the challenges of their environment and deliver class leading performance
- The Land Rover Extreme 40 catamaran will be christened at the next 'Act' in Qingdao, China, on 2nd May
Land Rover has become one of two Series Main Partners in the Extreme Sailing SeriesTM. Its three-year global sponsorship of one of the world's most exciting sailing competitions was announced today in Qingdao, China, where the third Act takes place.
The Extreme Sailing Series - endorsed by the International Sailing Federation - is contested by a fleet of Extreme 40 catamarans that have exceptional speed and agility. These beautiful boats share many fundamental principles with Land Rover's philosophy; both are engineered using the most advanced design and technological innovation and both deliver peak performance.
The Series is contested at eight events - Acts - which take place in exciting iconic venues and city harbour locations around the world. Thanks to the stadium-style nature of the venues, spectators are just metres away from the action and enjoy the full spectacle of the races, which are short sharp battles lasting between 10-20 minutes. Each Act takes place over four days and can include match racing, fleet racing, straight line duels and speed trials to give audiences a full programme of action.
The eight teams taking part feature some of the world's most accomplished and decorated sailors, including Olympic medalists, World and European Champions, more than 30 America's Cup sailors and seven world circumnavigators.
Mark Cameron, Global Brand Experience Director said: "The Extreme Sailing Series is a natural fit for Land Rover and provides a perfect platform to showcase our shared core values. The boats, like Land Rover vehicles, have design and technological innovations at their core. The men and women competing are experts in their field, fearless and always in complete control.
"Land Rover is utterly at home in all terrains and conditions on land and an Extreme 40 catamaran is equally at home on the waters in which they sail. Both can take on the unique challenges of their surroundings and deliver top performance."
Mark Turner, Executive Chairman of OC Sport, organiser of the Extreme Sailing Series, said: "We are proud that such an iconic brand as Land Rover is committing to the Extreme Sailing Series. This announcement comes at the start of the circuit's third full global tour and underpins our decision to go 'global' in 2011.
"Having completed an excellent Act 2 in the iconic city of Singapore, we have no doubt of our strategy being the right one. Land Rover's commitment, alongside the support of our other sponsors, like our technical partner SAP, demonstrates the commercial appeal of the circuit and shows that we can deliver a great return on investment back to our partners at both team and event level."
Mark Turner continued: "We are confident that with Land Rover's involvement we can build on the successes of this Series as we continue to innovate, reaching out to new audiences, and visiting new territories."
At the third Act in Qingdao - the Beijing Olympics' sailing venue - Land Rover's own boat will make its debut as the perfect viewing platform to experience this thrilling sport, allowing guests including Land Rover customers, to get in and amongst the action.
- Since 1948 Land Rover has been manufacturing authentic 4x4s that represent true breadth of capability across the model range. Defender, Freelander, Discovery, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque each define the world's 4x4 sectors. Land Rover products are currently sold in 178 global markets.
- Further information with supporting images to follow on 2nd May from the press conference and boat christening.
- Further Extreme Sailing Acts 2013:
Act 3: Qingdao, China 2-5 May
Act 4: Istanbul, Turkey 20-23 June
Act 5: Porto, Portugal 25-28 July
Act 6: Cardiff, Wales 23-26 August (Media day 22 August)
Act 7: Nice, France 3-6 Oct
Act 8: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 14-17 Nov (Media day 13 November)
SOURCE Jaguar Land Rover