SALT LAKE CITY, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shadow IT, the use of external IT solutions and assets by individuals inside an organization without IT department approval or involvement, is a serious and growing problem. IT departments are no longer in contact with what is brought into the enterprise, from hardware (smart phone, PC, tablet, etc.) to cloud-based applications. These unapproved purchases and their usage complicate IT departments' efforts to keep track of, manage, and protect a seemingly endless list of software and hardware. IT also needs to contend with the raised risks of data loss when external IT solutions are added to the environment. Employees argue that they are simply taking the initiative and the opportunity to be more productive. However, IT must balance freedom and productivity with business operational safety and compliance.
LANDESK, the global leader in delivering User-Oriented IT solutions solving systems, assets, security, mobility and IT service management challenges, is helping bridge the gap between IT and end users with its new Service Desk 7.7 release. Service Desk 7.7 includes a robust set of features designed to prevent shadow IT by increasing engagement and communication between IT and end users.
LANDESK Service Desk 7.7 bridges the gap between IT and end users working in-house and remotely by providing immediate and easily sourced products and services. New features and enhancements include:
- Mobile Self Service: Previously available as a Web App, Service Desk 7.7 is now available as an App in the Apple App Store and in Google Play. With Mobile Self Service, end users can engage with IT and address many of their own IT issues, such as password reset, mapping to a new network drive, or printing to a different printer in the office all whilst out of the office.
- Mobile Service Catalogue: End users can request services through the self-service catalog while on-the-go at any time and from any mobile device.
- Mobile Location Aware: IT can quickly locate and view the physical location of a mobile service user (end user, IT, or analyst) as they interact with the service desk via their own tablet, smartphone or connected device. This enables end users to reduce wait time by requesting on the spot support from an analyst in close vicinity.
- Picture Driven Support: Service Desk 7.7 provides an accurate and convenient way to report issues through visual image, text, link or video support.
- Service Desk Performance Reports: LANDESK Service Desk has been certified as compliant with the Service Desk Institute's (SDI) Performance Results Report: A set of metrics and reports designed to help IT adhere to SDI Service Desk Certification Standards.
"Smooth communication is a hallmark of the User-Oriented IT approach to IT; focusing on the end user regardless of the device or endpoint. Service Desk 7.7 builds communication lines to reduce friction between IT and end users, bringing faster IT responses and happier end users," says Steve Morton, CMO, LANDESK. "In the age of IT consumerization, end users are constantly tempted to find their own IT solutions without organizational approval, which can increase cost and compromise network security, create licensing and support problems, and generally makes IT's job more difficult. Service Desk 7.7 allows end users and IT to engage with each other in way that reduces the end users' perceived need to partake in shadow IT."
LANDESK Service Desk 7.7 is now available through LANDESK and its partners. For more information on these and additional new features and enhancements to Service Desk 7.7, please visit: www.landesk.com/products/service-desk/#whatsnew.
About LANDESK Software
LANDESK Software is a leading provider of systems lifecycle management, endpoint security, and IT service management solutions for desktops, servers and mobile devices across the enterprise. LANDESK enables IT to deliver business value by gaining control of end-user computing with a single console, light infrastructure, and ITIL solutions that deliver significant ROI for thousands of customers worldwide. LANDESK is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah, with offices located in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, and can be found at www.landesk.com.
Copyright © 2014, LANDESK Software, Inc. and its affiliates. All rights reserved. LANDESK and its logos are registered trademarks or trademarks of LANDESK Software, Inc. and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. Other brands and names may be claimed as the property of others.
SOURCE LANDesk Software