REDWOOD SHORES, Calif., March 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Oracle today announced that the latest version of the world's number one database, Oracle Database 12c Release 2 (12.2), is now available everywhere – in the cloud, with Oracle Cloud at Customer, and on-premises. Oracle Database 12.2 includes enhancements to the unique multitenant architecture and in-memory database technologies that provide customers with outstanding consolidation, performance, reliability, and security for all workloads including entry-level development and mission critical workloads. Additionally, the release includes more than 300 new features and enhancements across availability, performance, security, and developer productivity.
"Oracle has led the industry by providing the fastest and most reliable highly secure database for organizations of all sizes, and we continue to innovate and help customers transform to the cloud with minimum effort and risk," said Andy Mendelsohn, executive vice president of database server technologies, Oracle. "With this announcement, Oracle is completing the rollout of Oracle Database 12.2, making it even easier for organizations to deploy Oracle Database 12c wherever they need it – in the cloud or on-premises."
Oracle Database 12.2's massive cloud scalability and real-time analytics offer customers greater agility, faster time to business insights, and real cost advantages. New innovations in Oracle Database 12.2 include:
- Massive savings for consolidated and SaaS environments with up to 4,096 pluggable databases
- Increased agility with online cloning and relocation of pluggable databases
- Greatly accelerated in-memory database performance
- Offload of real-time in-memory analytics to active standby databases
- Native database sharding
- Massive scaling with Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC)
- JSON document store enhancements
Multiple independent industry analyst reports recently recognized Oracle Database 12c technology leadership for common database workloads, including online transaction processing, hybrid transactional and analytical processing, data warehousing, internet of things (IoT), and in-memory database. Following are some of these reports:
- Oracle Database In-Memory recently received the highest scores for "Current Offering" and "Strategy" in The Forrester Wave™: In-Memory Databases, Q1 2017 report.
- In Gartner's October 2016 Critical Capabilities for Operational Database Management Systems report, Oracle received the highest scores in three of the four Operational Database use cases; Traditional Transactions, Hybrid Transactional and Analytical Processing (HTAP), and Lightweight Events and Observations.
- Oracle is positioned highest on "Ability to Execute" axis in Gartner's February 2017 Magic Quadrant for Data Management Solutions for Analytics report.
Showcasing the impact of Oracle Database 12c for SaaS Clouds, Oracle Taleo Talent Management Cloud deployed Oracle Multitenant and achieved 25x more efficiency than using a virtual machine based architecture.
Oracle Cloud is the industry's broadest and most integrated public cloud, offering a complete range of services across SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. It supports new cloud environments, existing ones, and hybrid, and all workloads, developers, and data. The Oracle Cloud delivers nearly 1,000 SaaS applications and 50 enterprise-class PaaS and IaaS services to customers in more than 195 countries around the world and supports 55 billion transactions each day.
For more information, please visit us at http://cloud.oracle.com.
Oracle engineers hardware and software to work together in the cloud and in your data center. For more information about Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), visit oracle.com.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner's research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.