BILLUND, Denmark, Jan. 27, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of a long-term strategic partnership, the LEGO Foundation and Tsinghua University are establishing Laboratory for Lifelong Learning Tsinghua University (TULLL) to experiment with new learning tools and increase the knowledge about children's and students' creativity, play and learning in China.
The key interest of TULLL is to support creativity and learning across the Chinese educational system from pre-school to university by establishing a learning environment across ages and disciplines that stimulates competences like creativity, collaboration, innovation and problem solving. Tsinghua University and LEGO Foundation share the view that it will take a long-term effort to achieve this aim.
TULLL will promote new technologies and playful activities to stimulate creative engagement among children and students. It will also study how play influences children's and students' creativity and learning. In addition, the TULLL will convene decision-makers, change-makers, educators and innovators across the educational system in China to support the implementation of its learnings.
"This partnership allows us to bring together Tsinghua University's expertise in technology, learning and leadership with our knowledge and international research network around learning through play. In a world that is changing as fast as ours, we need to find new ways of equipping our children with the skills necessary to carry them towards better employment, health, and wealth. Children need to become life-long learners. We agree with Tsinghua University that play and creativity are among the key building blocks for this," says Hanne Rasmussen, CEO LEGO Foundation.
"The ability to be a life-long learner is very important for both children and students and we are very happy to collaborate with LEGO Foundation to build up this Lab at Tsinghua University," says Professor Bin Yang, Vice President of Tsinghua University.
Tsinghua University will host the TULLL in Beijing with researchers and assistants and ensure effective coordination between Chinese schools, researchers at Tsinghua and international partners and practitioners. The LEGO Foundation will share its knowledge from international projects and partners, provide funding for the launch of TULLL and tool development along with researchers to support TULLL's research agenda and outreach.
About Tsinghua University and the LEGO Foundation
- Tsinghua University was established in 1911. As one of China's most renowned universities, Tsinghua has become an important institution for fostering talents and scientific research. The educational philosophy of Tsinghua is to "train students with integrity." With the motto of "Self-Discipline and Social Commitment" and the spirit of "Actions Speak Louder than Words", Tsinghua University is dedicated to the well-being of Chinese society and to world development.
- The LEGO Foundation aims to inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow; a mission that it shares with the LEGO Group. The LEGO Foundation is dedicated to building a future where learning through play empowers children to become creative, engaged, lifelong learners. Its work is about re-defining play and re-imagining learning. In collaboration with thought leaders, influencers, educators and parents the LEGO Foundation aims to equip, inspire and activate champions for play.
About the Laboratory for Lifelong Learning Tsinghua University (TULLL)
The TULLL is a collaboration between the LEGO Foundation and Tsinghua University. This collaboration has three main purposes:
- To promote new technologies and playful activities to stimulate creative engagement among children and students;
- To study how play influences children's and students' creativity and learning; and
- To convene decision-makers, change-makers, educators, and innovators across the educational system in China.
SOURCE LEGO Foundation