WASHINGTON, April 9, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- LG Electronics has been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency with the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award for continued leadership in protecting the environment through energy efficient home appliances and consumer electronics products.
"Environmental sustainability is a core business principle at LG. We're proud of our long-standing ENERGY STAR partnership and our positive environmental impact in the United States," said William Cho, president and CEO of LG Electronics North America. "LG is helping American consumers make a difference with products that deliver energy savings to help save money and the planet without sacrificing performance or style. Responsible innovation is the foundation of LG's mantra of creating a better life with our customers."
First recognized as ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year in 2012, LG is committed to developing the most innovative and energy-efficient products that provide consumers with superior performance while lessening the impact on the planet. The 2019 award recognizes LG's key accomplishments in 2018:
- ENERGY STAR certified LG products were purchased at the incredible rate of 1,273 an hour in 2018, representing over $2.5 billion in sales.
- Almost three-quarters of LG product models across various categories were ENERGY STAR certified. The number of LG ENERGY STAR models increased in 2018 by 31 percent for room air conditioners and 14 percent for refrigerators and computers.
- LG led the industry in "ENERGY STAR Most Efficient" clothes washers with more models than any other brand.
- LG featured the Flip Your Fridge and ENERGY STAR Day campaigns on the CNN Network (1,865 screens in 57 airports across the country) and on LG's Times Square billboard – generating more than 13 million impressions.
- Reaching a new generation of 8,000-plus influencers, LG highlighted ENERGY STAR at the 2018 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival and partnered with non-profits in Middle Tennessee on ENERGY STAR efficiency makeovers.
- LG earned the 2018 ENERGY STAR Emerging Technology Award for breakthrough inverter variable-speed compressors in room air conditioners, delivering up to 40 percent efficiency improvements.
Recognizing LG and other 2019 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year honorees, EPA Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation Bill Wehrum, said, "Their innovation and leadership enhance America's economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment."
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award is the highest ENERGY STAR honor, presented to partners that have already received ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years and have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
Since its inception in 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners like LG have helped American families and businesses save nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. In 2018 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans avoid $30 billion in energy costs.
LG's ENERGY STAR accomplishments will be recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy in Washington on April 11.
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $54 billion global innovator in technology and manufacturing. In the United States, LG sells a wide range of innovative home appliances, home entertainment products, mobile phones, commercial displays, air conditioning systems, solar energy solutions and vehicle components. LG's focus on environmental sustainability and its "Life's Good" marketing theme encompass how LG is dedicated to people's happiness by exceeding expectations today and tomorrow. LG is a 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence. www.LG.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500®—rely on their partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at: energystar.gov/about and energystar.gov/numbers.
SOURCE LG Electronics USA