NEW YORK, Dec. 1, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Demands on software developers are changing. It used to be that developers released new versions of software once a year, or even every few months if they were really on the ball. Today, however, as-a-service options make it possible to deliver new versions and updates to customers much faster via the cloud. The cloud has also greatly enhanced the development process, which means software developers – also known as independent software vendors (ISVs) – are expected to deliver a steady stream of smaller releases in significantly less time. Doing this requires a systematic re-engineering of development and operations (DevOps) with all the technical, procedural, cultural and personal upheavals those changes entail. This process is well worth the effort, though, according to Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), which has developed a DevOps infographic that identifies the top ways the cloud can facilitate DevOps changes and accelerate innovation within the software developer's organization.
"Developers and their IT counterparts are polar opposites in their business lives; one thrives on creativity and out-of-the-box thinking while the other demands order and precision," says Brian Day, Senior Director of Cloud Services, Logicalis US. "This makes it tough for the two to see eye to eye when working to implement a DevOps process that speeds time to market for the organization. But with the help of a savvy cloud or SaaS partner, software providers are realizing significant productivity gains in the people, tools and overall culture of their organizations – changes that give them a competitive edge in today's fast-paced software development world."
Eight Ways DevOps Accelerates Innovation
- Speeds Releases: Software providers once focused all their energy on one big release whereas, today, the cloud and a proactive, collaborative DevOps environment make it possible to deliver a constant stream of small releases.
- Automates Processes: DevOps in the cloud takes previously manual tasks where building environments and executing tests were done by hand and automates them for a more continuous integration process.
- Removes IT Barriers: Cloud-based solutions allow for faster provisioning of environments using a templated catalog rather than building testing and production environments in house by hand.
- Accelerates Testing: Cloud-based DevOps processes allow developers to design, build and test smaller pieces of functionality – often simultaneously – rather than the previous lengthy and time-consuming waterfall method of testing large systems one stage at a time.
- Encourages Testing First, Not Last: Rather than evaluating and checking code at the end of the process, developers can now write automated test cases prior to building the code.
- Promotes Planning Ahead: In the past, developers waited until the code was built before involving operations and thinking about infrastructure needs, something which can now be done much earlier in the process.
- Helps Manage the Infrastructure: Where IT once controlled infrastructure components individually, with software-defined solutions, the infrastructure can now be managed as a whole via software tools.
- Fosters Better Collaboration: With the right tools in place, development and operations teams can collaborate more easily and deliver better results faster.
Want to Learn More?
- Explore a Logicalis web site dedicated to the interests of software developers: http://ow.ly/UTr4n.
- Get a copy of Logicalis' DevOps infographic, then find out why DevOps is taking center stage among software providers: http://ow.ly/UTrp8.
- Learn what software-as-a-service (SaaS) can do for you:
- Read a short article, "7 Reasons SaaS Makes Good Business Sense."
- Download two Logicalis eBooks: "DevOps and Beyond: The Future of SaaS and the Competitive Advantages for ISVs Who Get There First" and "ISVs and the Software Revolution: A Guide for Software Providers Transitioning to SaaS."
- Get a datasheet about the Logicalis Software Provider Program: http://ow.ly/UTSmG.
- Sign up for a Logicalis SaaS Optimization Workshop: http://ow.ly/UTs8d.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration; data center and cloud services; and managed services.
Logicalis employs over 4,000 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, deploy and manage complex IT infrastructures to meet the needs of over 6,500 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow on an international basis. It has specialized solutions for enterprise and medium-sized companies in vertical markets covering financial services, TMT (telecommunications, media and technology), education, healthcare, retail, government, manufacturing and professional services, helping customers benefit from cutting-edge technologies in a cost-effective way.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of over $1.5 billion from operations in Europe, North America, Latin America and Asia Pacific and is one of the leading IT and communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $6 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/logicalis-us-ids-eight-ways-devops-accelerates-innovation-300184635.html
SOURCE Logicalis US