WASHINGTON, Oct. 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- L'Oreal USA announced today that it has joined the American Business Act on Climate Pledge, alongside 80 companies from across the U.S. to demonstrate an ongoing commitment to climate action and to voice support for a strong outcome to the COP21 Paris climate negotiations.
The announcement was made today at the White House Summit on Climate and the Road through Paris. The Summit gathered leaders from the government, private sector, academia, technical and scientific communities to focus on cross-sector efforts to tackle the climate change challenge here in the United States as well as on a global scale. Specifically, the event focused on how to further efforts around carbon mitigation, sustainability, and resiliency, as well as how technologies are emerging to support and scale these efforts.
"By joining the American Business Act on Climate Pledge, L'Oreal USA is uniting with other leading companies nation-wide to voice the need for an effective and lasting climate change agreement in Paris," said Jonathan Maher, Vice President CSR and Sustainability for L'Oreal USA. "Accelerating the transition to a low-carbon economy will produce multiple benefits with regard to sustainable economic growth, public health, resilience to natural disasters, and the health of the global environment. Our ambition is to see the development of a clear framework to steer the country towards this goal."
L'OREAL USA'S COMMITMENT:
By the year 2020, L'Oreal USA will:
- Reduce CO2 emissions at our manufacturing plants and distribution centers by 60% in absolute terms, from a 2005 baseline.
- Reduce water consumption by 60% per finished product unit, from a 2005 baseline.
- Reduce waste by 60% per finished product unit, from a 2005 baseline.
- Send zero waste to landfill.
- Reduce CO2 emissions from transportation of products by 20% per finished product unit, from a 2011 baseline.
- Source 100% renewable raw materials from sustainable sources.
- Continue our "Zero Deforestation" ambition to include:
- 100% of palm supply will be free from deforestation.
- 100% of board and paper for packaging and POS (promotional material) will be certified.
L'Oreal USA is the largest subsidiary of the L'Oreal Group, the worldwide leader in beauty. L'Oreal USA manages a portfolio of 30 iconic beauty brands, including Carol's Daughter, Clarisonic, Essie, Garnier, Giorgio Armani Beauty, Kerastase, Kiehl's, Lancome, L'Oreal Paris, Matrix, Maybelline New York, NYX, Redken, Urban Decay and Yves Saint Laurent Beaute. In addition to its corporate headquarters in New York City, L'Oreal USA has research, manufacturing and distribution facilities across 13 other states including Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Jersey, Ohio, Texas and Washington with a workforce of more than 10,000 employees. For more information, visit www.LorealUSA.com or follow on Twitter @LOrealUSA.
SOURCE L'Oreal USA