SAN DIEGO, Nov. 17, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- 'Tis the season not only for joy and love, but also for pets. An overwhelming majority of parents who responded to Petco's November survey* plan to join in on the holiday fun with their pets — with a whopping 84 percent of respondents noting they plan to treat their furry friend with a gift, which is up 2 percent from last year. 50 percent are also planning to purchase a present for a friend or relative's pet.
"Pet parents are including pets in their holiday celebrations like never before," said Rebecca Frechette, Senior Vice President, Merchandising for Petco. "From spending quality time together, to gifting and having their furry friend strike a pose with Santa, pet parents love including their pets in the festivities."
The survey also found that treats and toys are among the most popular pet gifts this holiday season. From exclusive Dr. Seuss Pet Fans Collection and Trolls Pet Fans Collection toys, to holiday-inspired stocking-stuffer treats, Petco is the one-stop-shop for pet parents looking for great holiday gifts. Stylish bowls, feeding accessories and Harmony Urban Luxe Collection beds are other items sure to make the list this season.
Petco and Unleashed by Petco's assortment of holiday-inspired products, treats, toys and accessories are currently available online at Petco.com/Holiday and in Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores nationwide.
- Bowls & Accessories: Petco's new, trend-forward bowls and feeding accessories include items for both dogs and cats and range in price from $5 to $40. Top sellers include the colorful Bowlmates Single Faceted Bases available in blue, coral, pink and mint. For pet parents looking to add a little sparkle to their homes, the Harmony Gold Dots Ceramic Dog Bowl, Harmony Meow Ceramic Cat Bowl and Harmony Stainless Steel Gold Ombre Dog Treat Jar are sure to brighten up any room.
- Harmony Urban Luxe Collection: This new fashionable collection features five luxurious dog beds, including the Harmony Gold Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed, Harmony Silver Orthopedic Cuddler Dog Bed and Harmony Gray Pouf Dog Bed. Ranging in price from $35 to $130, four-legged friends will be making themselves cozy in one of these chic, comfortable beds.
- Dr. Seuss Pet Fans Collection: This popular line of whimsical pet accessories and toys for dogs and cats is back this season and now inspired by the one whose heart grew three sizes in one day, the Grinch. Highlights include the Dr. Seuss How the Grinch Stole Christmas 3 Hearts Grinch Teaser Cat Toy for the feline looking to put the Grinch in his place and the Dr. Seuss How the Grinch Stole Christmas Max Rope Stick Dog Toy for the pup who likes a little tug-o-war.
- Trolls Pet Fans Collection: This exclusive collection of vibrant, joyous toys and accessories, inspired from the film's unforgettable characters, will have pets on a colorful adventure during the holidays. The Trolls Branch and Poppy 2-Pack Mice Cat Toys is a perfect gift for the cat seeking playful entertainment. For the dog wanting to make a statement with toys during holiday festivities, the Trolls Poppy Plush Dog Toy will add animated excitement. Also, on Black Friday, November 25, Pals Rewards pet parents can Trollify their pet with Petco's anticipated gift with purchase, a holiday-themed Trolls headpiece.
- Petco and Unleashed by Petco's Holiday Inspired Products: These collections inspired by iconic holiday themes and traditions are a great option for the 62 percent of respondents who said they plan to dress up their pet in a holiday-themed costume or accessory, which is an 11 percent increase from last year's survey. Fun-loving felines will love the Time for Joy Mrs. Claus Cat Hat and Scarf Set, while pups can parade around their festive spirit with a Time for Joy Traditional Antlers Dog Headpiece. For those families interested in coordinating their outfits with their furry friends, the Time for Joy Red and White Fair Isle Pet and Pet Parent Scarf Set or Time for Joy Red and White Naughty Nice Pet and Pet Parent Knit Hat Set are festive options. Other popular holiday products this year include the Time for Joy Tree with Hideout Dog Toys, Time for Joy Holiday Mice Cat Toy, 2-Pack and Time for Joy Hanukkah Kosher Bone Dog Toy.
Along with seasonal gifting, consumers can help give pets in need the gift of a loving home this holiday season through the Petco Foundation and Nature's Variety Instinct's All For Holiday Homes fundraising campaign. From November 19 through December 24, animal lovers can support this lifesaving initiative by donating at the register at any Petco or Unleashed by Petco store or online at www.petcofoundation.org. As part of the initiative, Petco will also help unite adoptable pets with loving families during Adoptions at Petco events. Anyone considering inviting a new pet into their home this season can visit Petco stores nationwide on December 3 and 4. For additional information, please visit www.Petco.com/HolidayHomes and follow the conversation on social media using the hashtag #HolidayPets.
*Source: Petco Pet Passionaries Research Panel (November 2016)
About Petco and the Petco Foundation
With more than 50 years of service to pet parents, Petco is a leading pet specialty retailer that focuses on nurturing powerful relationships between people and pets. We do this by providing the products, services, advice and experiences that keep pets physically fit, mentally alert, socially engaged and emotionally happy. Everything we do is guided by our vision for Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We operate more than 1,470 Petco and Unleashed by Petco locations across the U.S., Mexico and Puerto Rico; prescription services and pet supplies from the leading veterinary-operated pet product supplier, Drs. Foster & Smith; and petco.com. The Petco Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization, has invested more than $167 million since it was created in 1999 to help promote and improve the welfare of companion animals. In conjunction with the Foundation, we work with and support thousands of local animal welfare groups across the country and, through in-store adoption events, help find homes for more than 400,000 animals every year.