SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) today announces that Manny Villafaña has been named the 2016 Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA) Lifetime Achievement Award recipient for his many significant contributions to the medical device industry. Villafaña will be honored at a special ceremony held in conjunction with the Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) East conference and expo on June 14 at 4:30 p.m.
Additionally, MD+DI announces 35 innovative products from forward-thinking companies as finalists in the MDEAs, recognizing the achievements of medical device manufacturers that are pushing the industry forward.
MD&M East will take place on June 14–16 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York, NY. For more information and to register, visit: mdmeast.mddionline.com
Meet the MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient, Manny Villafaña
Villafaña, proclaimed a "Living Legend of Medicine," founded seven public companies, including Cardiac Pacemakers Inc., St. Jude Medical, and ATS Medical. He also co-invented the first lithium-powered pacemaker, co-developed the first St. Jude heart valve, and owns a number of pacemaker, heart-valve, and stent patents. Along with his contributions to medtech, Villafaña is known for his philanthropic efforts, especially his generous gifts to the Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club, which he spent time at growing up.
"MD+DI and MD&M East are proud to honor Manny Villafaña as the 2016 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient for his devotion and incredible contributions to the medtech industry," said Jamie Hartford, editor-in-chief of MD+DI and director of medical content for UBM Americas. "His entrepreneurial spirit and philanthropic efforts make him a perfect role model for the medtech community. We're excited to celebrate his achievements in June."
Villafaña will also speak in a Spotlight Session on June 14 at 2:15 p.m. at Center Stage on the MD&M East expo floor. Read MD+DI's profile of him here.
2016 MDEA Finalist Products and Manufacturers (alphabetical by category):
See a slideshow with images of the MDEA finalist products on MD+DI.
Critical Care and Emergency Medicine Products:
- Dolores One Speech Enhancement manufactured by Dolores Speech Products LLC
- iTraumaCare iTClamp manufactured by Innovative Trauma Care
- Lifeline ARM manufactured by Defibtech
- Prevalon AirTap Patient Repositioning System manufactured by Sage Products LLC
Diagnostic Products and Systems:
- Accelerate ID/AST System manufactured by Accelerate Diagnostics
- ic100 manufactured by Icare
- MolecuLight i:X Imaging Device manufactured by MolecuLight
- Smart one manufactured by M.I.R Medical International Research Spirometry
- SureTouch manufactured by Medical Tactile Inc.
- Trice mi-eye+ manufactured by Trice Medical
Drug Delivery Devices and Combination Products:
- BD Intelliport Medication Manager manufactured by Becton, Dickinson, and Co.
- ClearGuard HD manufactured by Pursuit Vascular Inc.
- Velox Electronic Nebulizer manufactured by PARI GmbH
General Hospital Devices and Therapeutic Products:
- CoSense manufactured by Capnia
- Equashield manufactured by Equashield Medical Ltd.
- Outset Tablo manufactured by Outset Medical
- Relizorb manufactured by Alcresta Pharmaceuticals
- The GentleWave System manufactured by Sonendo
- Thinklabs One digital stethoscope manufactured by Thinklabs Medical LLC
Implant and Tissue Replacement Products:
- Luna interbody implant manufactured by Benvenue Medical
- Stim Router Neuromodulation System manufactured by Bioness Inc.
- WATCHMAN Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device manufactured by Boston Scientific Corp.
Over-the-Counter and Self-Care Products:
- Neck Saviour manufactured by Epiphany Innovation
- Relizorb manufactured by Alcresta Pharmaceuticals
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices:
- Analogic Sonic Window manufactured by BK Ultrasound
- Dental Wings DWIO Intraoral Scanner manufactured by Dental Wings
- Dynamic Neuroscreening Device manufactured by Prosenex
- SpyGlass DS Direct Visualization System manufactured by Boston Scientific Corp.
Rehabilitation and Assistive Technology Products:
- AcceleDent Aura manufactured by OrthoAccel Technologies Inc.
- The Access Strength manufactured by Include Fitness
- Indego manufactured by Parker Hannifin Corp.
Surgical Equipment, Instruments and Supplies:
- AccuCirc manufactured by Clinical Innovations
- Flex Robotic System flexible robotic surgery platform manufactured by Medrobotics Corp.
- GastriSail manufactured by Medtronic plc
- Gemini 810+980 Soft Tissue Laser manufactured by Azena Medical LLC
- HARMONIC OSTEOVUE Spine Soft Tissue Dispenser manufactured by DePuy Synthes Spine and Ethicon
Started in 1998, the MDEAs continue to recognize significant achievements in medical product design and engineering that improve the quality of healthcare delivery and accessibility.
The MDEAs are judged by an impartial panel of medtech industry experts. The jurors carefully reviewed all product submissions, narrowing them down to a maximum of six product in each category. A bronze, silver, and gold award in each category, along with a best-in-show honor, will be presented at the 2016 MDEA ceremony, which will be held on June 14 in conjunction with MD&M East at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York, NY.
Follow @MDDIonline for tweets and announcements about #MDEA16 Finalists and Winners.
For more information about the Medical Design Excellence Awards—including additional details about the manufacturers and suppliers that created the 2016 MDEA-finalist products—visit the MDEA website at mdeawards.mddionline.com
Media Registration: newyork.am.ubm.com/2016/registrations/media
About Advanced Manufacturing Expos & Conferences
UBM's Advanced Manufacturing portfolio is the leading B-to-B event producer, publisher, and digital media business for the world's $3 trillion advanced, technology-based manufacturing industry. Our print and electronic products deliver trusted information to the advanced manufacturing market and leverage our proprietary 1.3 million name database to connect suppliers with buyers and purchase influencers. We produce more than 50 events and conferences in a dozen countries, connecting manufacturing professionals from around the globe. The Advanced Manufacturing portfolio is organized by UBM Americas, a part of UBM plc (UBM.L), an Events First marketing and communication services business. For more information, visit ubmamericas.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/manny-villafana-announced-as-the-2016-medical-design-excellence-awards-mdea-lifetime-achievement-award-recipient-300262507.html
SOURCE Advanced Manufacturing Expos & Conferences