MCLEAN, Va., Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) continues to hold down the No. 1 position for the fourth straight week in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for girls basketball for the week of Jan. 28, 2013.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Mater Dei improved to 21-0, defeating Junipero Serra (Gardena, Calif.) and Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) last week, as Katie Samuelson scored nearly 60 points combined during the two games.
No. 2 Duncanville (Texas) added two wins against Midlothian (Texas) and Cedar Hill (Texas) to its 32-0 undefeated record, while St. Mary's (Phoenix) defeated Xavier College Prep (Phoenix), North (Phoenix) and Cesar Chavez (Phoenix) and held onto its No. 3 spot in this week's Super 25.
Windward (Los Angeles) holds down the No. 4 position in this week's Super 25, defeating then-No. 9 Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.) in overtime. In addition to the loss, Long Beach Poly added three wins against Jordan (Long Beach, Calif.), Cabrillo (Long Beach, Calif.) and Compton (Calif.) to advance to the No. 8 position in this week's rankings. Fairmont (Kettering, Ohio), last week's No. 8 team, suffered a loss that knocked the team out of this week's rankings completely.
No. 5 Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tenn.), No. 6 Paul VI (Fairfax, Va.) and No. 7 Marion County (Lebanon, Ky.) stay unbeaten and retain their positions in this week's Super 25.
North Gwinnett (Suwanee, Ga.), last week's No. 11 team, lost to unranked Norcross (Ga.) and fell to the No. 25 position in this week's rankings, while undefeated Twinsburg (Ohio)—the winner of three consecutive state Division I titles—debuts in this week's rankings as the No. 24 team.
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports girls basketball rankings.
High School Girls Basketball Super 25
For Week of January 28, 2013
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (21-0)
- Duncanville, Texas (32-0)
- St. Mary¹s, Phoenix (21-1)
- Windward, Los Angeles (21-0)
- Riverdale, Murfreesboro, Tenn. (21-0)
- Paul VI, Fairfax, Va. (21-0)
- Marion County, Lebanon, Ky. (24-0)
- Long Beach Poly (18-3)
- Dutch Fork, Irmo, S.C. (20-0)
- Shabazz, Newark (15-0)
- St. John¹s, Washington, D.C. (18-1)
- Columbus (Ind.) North (22-0)
- Hopkins, Minnetonka, Minn. (16-1)
- Parkview, Lilburn, Ga. (21-0)
- Myers Park, Charlotte (17-0)
- Pflugerville, Texas (30-0)
- Riverdale Baptist, Upper Marlboro, Md. (20-3)
- Bishop O'Dowd, Oakland (15-3)
- St. Mary's, Stockton, Calif. (20-1)
- Incarnate Word, St. Louis (18-0)
- Edwardsville, Ill. (23-0)
- Martin Luther King, Detroit (13-0)
- Southwood, Shreveport, La. (23-1)
- Twinsburg, Ohio (17-0)
- North Gwinnett, Suwanee, Ga. (19-1)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group