AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Feb. 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- It may not feel or look like a typical winter, but Michigan motorists aren't out of the woods yet when it comes to hazardous driving conditions. Winter driving conditions can cause a variety of safety problems for individuals on the road, including black ice and limited visibility due to snow, sleet or freezing rain. This year, Meemic Insurance Company, a Mich.-based insurance company that provides personal lines of insurance exclusively for educators throughout Mich., Wis., and Ill., reminds drivers to be cautious even though this winter has been unusually mild.
"People often assume that because heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures are lacking this winter that driving is easier and safer," said Pamela Harlin, spokesperson for Meemic Insurance Company. "On the contrary, because the weather has been so mild and conditions seem favorable, drivers are less likely to exhibit caution behind the wheel. "
In order to help drivers navigate this mild winter, Meemic Insurance has compiled a list of five safety tips to avoid accidents and keep the roads safe:
- Check the temperature before you drive anywhere. If the temperature is at the freezing point (around 32 degrees), take into account any rainfall and keep an eye out for spots of black ice or areas that might freeze at lower temperatures, like when driving over a bridge.
- Know how to brake on slippery surfaces. Because the weather has been so unpredictable this season, be sure you are aware of how to effectively navigate slippery roads.
- Avoid using cruise control in snowy or slippery conditions. Using cruise control can be very effective in good weather conditions, but can prove to be dangerous in poor weather – potentially causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Be overly aware of speed limits. They are in place for driving in dry conditions, so slow down in poor weather to protect you and your passengers in case of any unknown dangers like hidden slick spots on the road.
- Be sure your vehicle is equipped with cold weather necessities: ice scraper, snow shovel, salt and extra things like coats and gloves in the event that your vehicle breaks down.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) provides personal lines insurance products solely and exclusively to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. For more than 65 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based, teacher-founded company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored solely to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective December 2015). Best of all, by choosing Meemic, you're also supporting fellow educators through The Meemic Foundation for the Future of Education, which provides exclusive educational grants for teachers. Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company