AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Nov. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- The holidays are a time for family gatherings, traveling and sharing in festivities as the months turn a bit colder. While the season is filled with joy, it is also important to remember important safety tips while either hosting guests or traveling to see friends and relatives. Meemic Insurance Company offers these easy to follow, helpful holiday tips to navigate this merry time of the year while keeping you, your home and your family safe.
Accidents can happen whether it's a fire from a deep fryer while preparing a holiday meal, a burglary at your home while you're out of town or a car accident because you're rushing trying to get to grandma's house on time. Oftentimes, people are scurrying from place to place during this chaotic time and can overlook the simplest of details due to distractions. Meemic has compiled a list of tips to stay safe throughout the coming months:
- For those who choose to use a turkey fryer at home, it is advised that it is set up more than 10 feet away from your home, flat on the ground and that a thawed, dry turkey is used. Have a fire extinguisher handy at all times.
- Colder weather means making homes cozy with fireplaces and scented candles. In combination with comfort and warmth, many seasonal decorations are up at this time, which may be more likely to catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended and be sure they're on stable surfaces and far away from trees, curtains or other decorations.
- Many travel throughout the holidays to visit family and friends, with some travel taking place during potentially hazardous weather conditions. This is the time to take extra precautions while driving.
- Be sure you have enough gas to get to your destination.
- Check the weather before you head out. If the temperature is at the freezing point, take into account any rainfall and keep an eye out for areas that might freeze at lower temperatures.
- Be aware of speed limits. If the weather is less than ideal, be overly cautious to protect you and your passengers. Take your time - your family would like you to arrive safe.
- Be sure your vehicle is equipped with cold weather necessities in the event your vehicle breaks down.
- If you do choose to travel this holiday season, be sure you prepare your home for your absence, as burglars target homes that look uninhabited.
- Have a trusted neighbor look after your home to ensure no suspicious activity takes place.
- Do not post on social media that you are away from your home. This is an increasingly easy way for burglars to know homes will be unattended.
- If you are going to be gone for an extended period of time, be sure to hire someone to shovel your driveway so it appears as though you are home.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) provides personal lines insurance products solely and exclusively to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. For more than 65 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based, teacher-founded company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored solely to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective December 2015). Best of all, by choosing Meemic, you're also supporting fellow educators through The Meemic Foundation for the Future of Education, which provides exclusive educational grants for teachers. Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company