AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Jan. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Surprise, Mid-Westerners! Winter is back! Not surprisingly however is the return of dangerous driving conditions that motorists will endure for the upcoming months. Whether you're making your daily commute to work or just going for a drive, it's important to take precautions on the road during this winter weather.
This year, Meemic Insurance Company, a Mich.-based insurance company that provides personal lines of insurance exclusively for educators throughout Mich., Wis., and Ill., reminds drivers to be cautious throughout the snowfalls, ice storms and weather variations that come with winter in the Midwest.
"Road conditions are unpredictable in the winter," said Pamela Harlin, spokesperson for Meemic Insurance Company. "We can have a winter storm one night and clear skies the next. It's important for drivers in the Midwest to maintain safety behind the wheel by driving speeds appropriate for the different conditions of the road each day."
In order to help drivers appropriately weather the winter storms, Meemic Insurance has compiled a list of five safety tips to help avoid accidents and keep the roads safe:
- Keep your gas tank at a safe level – preferably half-full or higher. Because the roads are so unpredictable, you never know what you might come across. The last thing you'd want is to run out of gas with below freezing temperatures.
- Maintain slow speed when accelerating and decelerating. This is the best method to use in order to avoid unpredictable sliding and regaining traction with your tires in slippery conditions.
- Make sure your vehicle servicing is up-to-date. Regularly checking your vehicle for any potential problems will keep everything in tune and running properly amidst wintery conditions. Focus on parts of your vehicle that are typically affected by cold weather such as tire pressure, battery life, break lines and more.
- Bundle up and prepare your vehicle for the elements. In case your vehicle would break down in the winter, it's crucial to keep useful materials on hand. Stow away blankets, hats, gloves and warm clothing to ensure safety from biting temperatures. Snow brushes, flashlights, jumper cables and shovels are also important tools that can keep you out of danger in the event of a slide off or accident.
- If you don't need to be somewhere, stay home. This is ultimately the best decision to make in the middle of a winter weather advisory. It's always better to be safe than take unnecessary risks on dangerous road conditions.
About Meemic Insurance Company
Meemic Insurance Company (www.meemic.com) provides personal lines insurance products exclusively to teachers and other educational employees in Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. For more than 65 years, Meemic remains a Michigan-based, teacher-founded company, proud partner of the educational community, committed to offering the finest possible protection, products and services at preferred rates. Trust Meemic for claims excellence, policy payment options to meet your needs and products tailored solely to the educational community we serve. Meemic is a financially strong company (A. M. Best rating effective December 2015). Best of all, by choosing Meemic, you're also supporting fellow educators through The Meemic Foundation for the Future of Education, which provides exclusive educational grants for teachers. Our stability and reputation for integrity builds the confidence of our policyholders and remains the foundation for our continued mission to serve the educational community.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/meemic-insurance-promotes-safe-driving-on-unpredictable-roads-300391054.html
SOURCE Meemic Insurance Company