WILSONVILLE, Ore., Nov. 17,2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) today announced the newest release of its leading frontloading computational fluid dynamics (CFD) FloEFD™ product targeting complex design challenges. Frontloading CFD refers to the practice of moving CFD simulation early into the design process, enabling design engineers to examine and evaluate design options, resulting in optimized product performance and reliability. The new FloEFD product provides the industry's first simulation solution for water vapor absorption alongside several other lighting related functionalities.
With the latest version of FloEFD software, users can now simulate the sorption (when one substance permeates another) and desorption (changing from an adsorbed state to a gaseous or liquid state) processes. For example, plastic absorbs water and then releases it when environmental conditions change. This functionality is important for several key markets such as automotive lighting design where moisture needs to be minimized in light housings. Other automotive lighting related capabilities include radiation and spectrum for direction source modeling, and LED thermal-optical modeling to simulate LEDs with non-linear dependence of parameters on temperature.
"The engineering team at SICK AG has been using FloEFD successfully for several years" said Dr. Dirk Spreeman, project leader, presence detection department in the research and development group at SICK AG. "And now that the condensation functionality includes water vapor absorption in solids, we will be able to include simulation in the design process for our light sensors as well. To date we have been unable to access this information until after the first prototype has been built. Therefore, we are very excited about gaining insight into the design earlier when we can modify it quickly and inexpensively."
While we continue to make the software faster and more efficient, the focus of FloEFD 16 is on power and the ability to handle even more complex tasks:
- Linked Data from Components: Often the design of complex devices assumes a multi-level simulation approach when analysis is initiated from a simple component, followed by an assembly of components, then finally the full system comprised of many components and sub-assemblies. Using the new FloEFD product, users can move from level to level, and re-use the component task definition of an assembly, saving a great amount of time by eliminating the need to repeat component or sub-assembly definition. Users simply link to a previously created project in just seconds, minimizing the risk of manual entry errors. In addition, users can create a library of components by saving model components with FloEFD conditions for future use, to be shared with other designers in the organization.
- Radiation and LED enhancements: the radiation modeling capability for FloEFD software has been further extended to include radiation pattern and spectrum definitions for directional sources. The LED thermal-optical model is now capable of simulating LEDs with non-linear dependency of parameters on temperature. These improvements are ideal for automotive lighting design and simulation.
- Transient Explorer: The new method of results data compression saves large amounts of disk space while it provides access to transient data immediately. Users can combine the transient animation of plots and parameter charts into a single view.
- Design of Experiment (DOE) and Optimization: True optimization of designs requires that multiple criteria be considered concurrently; as such its implementation can consume substantial resources (such as time and computing power). With the addition of this functionality now users can take advantage of DoE and Response Surface optimization.
- Korean localization: FloEFD is now the only CFD software with user interfaces in Japanese, Chinese, French, German, Russian, English and now Korean, allowing engineers to experience FloEFD in their preferred language.
"Our customers require fast and accurate simulation results for their complex engineering problems," said Roland Feldhinkel, general manager of Mentor Graphics Mechanical Analysis Division. "Our latest FloEFD product provides the power, special functionality and performance required by engineers to obtain meaningful answers to their questions without disrupting their design process."
The new FloEFD product is available for immediate shipment. It is the only CFD software product with user interfaces in multiple languages including Korean, Japanese, Chinese, French, German, Russian and English. For additional product information, visit the website: https://www.mentor.com/products/mechanical/floefd/
About Mentor Graphics
Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) is a world leader in electronic hardware and software design and manufacturing solutions, providing products, consulting services and award-winning support for the world's most successful electronic, semiconductor and systems companies. Established in 1981, the company reported revenues in the last fiscal year of approximately $1.18 billion. Corporate headquarters are located at 8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070-7777. World Wide Web site: http://www.mentor.com/.
Mentor Graphics and Mentor are registered trademarks, and FloEFD is a trademark of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners.
For more information, please contact:
SOURCE Mentor Graphics Corporation