LOUISVILLE, Ky., March 2, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Women working in the food, beverage and hospitality industries are eligible to enter the 2017 Les Dames d'Escoffier International (LDEI) Legacy Awards.
The Legacy Awards, established in 2009, provide highly-defined mentored opportunities for women in food, beverage, and hospitality (minimum of four years professional experience and not LDEI members). Each Legacy Award winner is sponsored by an accomplished LDEI member (Dame) who offers a one-week workplace experience at her business. The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts supports the Legacy Awards, one of Les Dames d'Escoffier International's most important philanthropic initiatives.
This year, there are six awards across five categories: two experiences in Wine; one each in Culinary; Fine Beverage and Hospitality; Farm to Table; and Farm to Sea to Table and Journalism.
- Discover the heart and soul of Mexico at the iconic Jose Cuervo's Tequila Distillery and Mundo Cuervo, their hospitality center.
- Spend a week in New York City at the historic James Beard House—former home of the Dean of American Cookery—assisting multiple guest chefs during their weekly showcase dinners.
- Explore winemaking at its best at America's oldest continuously operated family-owned winery, Wente Family Estates, and discover the secrets of their award-winning hospitality.
- Learn all the facets of the winery and wine tourism industries from vineyard to bottle to vineyard concerts at Washington State's oldest winery, Chateau Ste. Michelle.
- Learn what it takes to produce an award-winning cheese working side-by-side with the team at Shy Brothers Farm, a New England artisanal farmstead cheese company.
- Experience a whirlwind tour through the New England Food System overnighting on a fishing vessel, exploring food hubs and more with prominent members of the New England Les Dames d'Escoffier Chapter.
Award winners will be reimbursed for airfare, hotel (if needed) and other pre-approved expenses for the week up to US $2,000. Winners will be announced by May 20, 2017 and experiences must be completed by October 1, 2017. In addition to the Legacy Award experience, each winner is invited to attend the LDEI Annual Conference in Newport Beach, CA, Oct. 26-29, 2017 where a luncheon in the winners' honor will be held. Travel, hotel, and conference attendance will be reimbursed.
For an application, visit ldei.org and click on Legacy Awards.
Deadline for completed applications is APRIL 20, 2017.
Stacy Zeigler, President of Les Dames d'Escoffier International said, "The Legacy Award Program is one of my favorite LDEI initiatives. I've been lucky enough to be a Legacy Committee Member and a Legacy Host. These week-long stages are once-in-a lifetime experiences. Lasting relationships are formed and both parties leave more educated and energized. We couldn't do this without the support of The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts and are grateful for their continued financial support.
Todd Schulkin, Executive Director, The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts said, "LDEI's Legacy Awards continue to set the standard for how food industry mentors can not only yield great outcomes but inspire all of us to give back and set lofty new goals. The Foundation is proud to support this innovative and effective program."
Les Dames d'Escoffier International (LDEI) is celebrating its 31st year as an international organization of women leaders who create a supportive culture in their communities to achieve excellence in the food, beverage, and hospitality professions. To do this, over 2,200 members in 37 chapters worldwide provide leadership, educational opportunities and host philanthropic events within their communities. For more information, visit LDEI.org or on Facebook at Les Dames d'Escoffier Int'l.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mentorship-experiences-for-women-in-food-beverage--hospitality-offered-by-les-dames-descoffier-international-and-supported-by-the-julia-child-foundation-for-gastronomy-and-the-culinary-arts-300417235.html
SOURCE Les Dames d’Escoffier International (LDEI)