REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Microsoft Corp. today sets a new standard in webcams with LifeCam Studio, featuring sharp high-definition (HD) video with a true 1080p sensor(1) Microsoft's newest LifeCam is the perfect complement to Windows Live Messenger 2011, which will offer HD video calling in a 16:9 widescreen format so everyone can easily be seen in the video call with amazing detail(2). When people can't attend an important life moment in person, LifeCam Studio delivers the closest thing to being there.
As Microsoft's first webcam with a 1080p sensor, LifeCam Studio delivers superior sharpness and image quality in video calls. The native 1080p sensor is more than twice as large as the 720p HD sensors on the market and lets more light in so people experience great video in virtually any lighting condition. Whether the sun is streaming in the window or the user is lit only by the light from the computer monitor, LifeCam Studio brings friends and family closer than ever before.
Better Together With Windows Live Messenger 2011
The launch of Microsoft's latest HD LifeCam comes at an exciting time for webcam users with the recent announcement that Windows Live Messenger 2011 will support HD video calling this fall.
"With Windows Live Messenger, customers can now have richer, more meaningful conversations by sharing photos, playing games and, of course, instant messaging all while video chatting in HD," said Michael Chang, group product manager, Windows Live Messenger. "We are thrilled to deliver HD widescreen video calls with Windows Live Messenger 2011, giving LifeCam users a more vivid and clear image for their video calls."
More Than Just Good Looks
In addition to a high-quality video picture, LifeCam Studio features a stunning industrial design. But it's not just about great design; every piece of this webcam serves a purpose. The new webcam is Microsoft's first to feature a tripod thread, perfect for recording long video captures from different angles — not only in front of the monitor. LifeCam Studio also includes these features:
- A 360-degree view range, which means that users can easily point the camera at themselves or around the room — no need to pick up an entire laptop and turn it around.
- An elongated hood modeled after a high-end camera to help protect the lens from stray light to avoid washed-out colors.
LifeCam Studio features premium optics, with improved Auto Focus to keep objects in focus no matter how far the distance from the LifeCam(3), and a high-precision glass element lens for superior clarity. It also includes two technologies to ensure video remains true to life in almost any environment:
- TrueColor Technology automatically delivers bright and colorful video in virtually any lighting condition and helps keep the most important part of the video call — the face — properly exposed.
- ClearFrame Technology helps keep video smooth and detailed even in low light.
Pricing and Availability
LifeCam Studio will be available exclusively at Best Buy stores later this month for the estimated retail price of $99.95(4) and is available on BestBuy.com starting today. Microsoft backs this product with a worldwide three-year limited hardware warranty. More information about these and other Microsoft Hardware products can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware.
About Microsoft Hardware
For more than 28 years, the Hardware Group has employed innovative engineering, cutting-edge industrial design and extensive usability testing to create products of exceptional quality and durability that enhance the software experience and strengthen the connection between consumers and their PC. Microsoft Hardware leads the industry in ergonomic engineering, industrial design and hardware/software compatibility, offering consumers an easier, more convenient and more enjoyable computing experience. More information about Microsoft Hardware is available at http://www.microsoft.com/hardware and http://www.microsofthardwareblog.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
(1) Popular video call services support 720p resolution or lower — not 1080p. 1080p HD recording requires commercial video software (not included), Intel Quad Core 3.0 GHz (or higher) or compatible, and 4 GB RAM. Enclosed software supports 720p HD video recording. HD display recommended.
(2) For 720p resolution video chat, both users must have Windows Live Messenger 2011 installed, Intel Quad Core 3.0 GHz (or higher) or compatible processor, compatible HD webcams, a microphone, speakers or a headset, and high-speed Internet access.
(3) Focus range from 4" to infinity.
(4) Estimated retail price. Actual retail prices may vary.
SOURCE Microsoft Corp.