CYPRESS, Calif., April 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported March 2011 sales of 7,560 units, an increase of more than 39 percent compared to March 2010. It was Mitsubishi's largest month of sales in two-and-a-half years (August 2008).
"Mitsubishi dealers have not had this much excitement and showroom traffic since the federal cash for clunkers program in 2009," said MMNA President & CEO Yoichi Yokozawa. "Our new Outlander Sport is leading the way, but we have seen significant sales increases across the board."
Outlander Sport sales continue to grow. There were 1,401 units sold in March, which is an increase of 8.6 percent over the prior month (February 2011). Outlander Sport sales have grown in each of the six months of sales since its introduction last October.
Yokozawa added, "We hope to continue this tremendous positive momentum right up to and including the launch of sales our exciting all-new, all-electric Mitsubishi 'i' later this year."
Other March sales highlights include:
- Sales for the first quarter (January-March) were up 48 percent. This represents Mitsubishi's largest sales growth for the first quarter in 21 years (89 percent in 1990.)
- Outlander and Outlander Sport combined sales were up almost 90 percent for the month and are up more than 94 percent year-to-date.
- Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Lancer Sportback all showed sales increases for the month, and were up an aggregate of more than 4 percent from last March.
- Galant sales were up more than 10 percent compared to March 2010, and are up more than 95 percent year-to-date.
- Endeavor sales are up almost 10 percent year-to-date.
- Eclipse Spyder sales are up more than 35 percent year-to-date.
- Sales of vehicles manufactured at the Normal, Illinois, plant are up more than 62 percent year-to-date.
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, and marketing operations for Mitsubishi Motors in the United States. MMNA sells cars and light trucks through a network of approximately 400 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.
SOURCE Mitsubishi Motors North America