NEW YORK, January 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
Next generation 3D pen is first hardware product to raise over $1 million on the crowdfunding platform, twice
3Doodler 2.0, the reinvented model of the world's first 3D printing pen, today became the first hardware product on Kickstarter to hit over $1 million in a second 'sequel' campaign. 3Doodler 2.0 smashed its Kickstarter goal on Thursday the 15th January, raising over $1 million in funding from the Kickstarter community in just 10 days, and is currently more than 3645% over its funding target:
- Only 87 projects in Kickstarter history have hit $1 million out of a total of 194,616 projects
- Just 0.0004% of Kickstarter projects have ever reached $1 million
- There is a 1 in 2,236 chance of a Kickstarter hitting over $1 million once, and a 1 in 48,654 chance of a Kickstarter hitting over $1 million with two campaigns
- The 3Doodler 2.0 smashed its $30,000 goal in just 16 minutes - over 3 hours faster than the original 3Doodler campaign, which took 3 hours 38 minutes
- The project reached the $1 million milestone 10 days in to the campaign, exactly halfway through its 20 day run
- The first 100 units are shipping within a month of the project launch - almost unheard of for any crowdfunding platform
- Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/help/stats
Daniel Cowen, Co-Founder explains: "It's incredible that 3Doodler is the first piece of hardware in Kickstarter history to hit $1 million twice on the platform. The odds of reaching such a milestone again are extremely low, so we want to thank our loyal community for their support. This is proof that the right product can succeed on Kickstarter for a sequel campaign, and we're incredibly proud to be the first hardware project to do it."
3Doodler's brand new model is available from $99 and has been completely redesigned from tip to toe after more than two years of research and development. More efficient, quieter and sleeker than the original 3Doodler, the 2.0 pen weighs only 50 grams and is less than a quarter the size of the first version. The new enhanced airflow, which uses patented technology, cools the plastic even more efficiently and quietly, while the dual speed control provides perfect precision over your creations. All Kickstarter backers will also receive the newly released 3Doodler FLEXY plastic.
The project will run for another 10 days in a special campaign aimed at early adopters. Now that funding is secured, production will begin on the second version of the already successful pen. The project has attracted 6,984 backers to date, with early bird backers receiving their units within the next month.
3Doodler 2.0 Specs
Key features of the 3Doodler 2.0 include:
- ¼ the size of the original 3Doodler, making it the same size as a marker pen
- Weighs only 50 grams, less than half the weight of the original 3Doodler
- Housed in a sleek anodized aluminium casing that looks beautiful and feels great to the touch
- A fully re-engineered drive system, for even smoother 3Doodling
- An entirely new nozzle design, for better performance and crisper doodles
- Enhanced airflow to cool the plastic even more efficiently, using a new quieter fan system
- Dual speed control, so that you can customize your Doodling experience
- A new double-click function for continuous flow, so that you can Doodle non-stop without having to hold down any buttons
- Manual temperature optimization, allowing minor flow adjustments for expertly consistent doodles
- More efficient and stable heating due to a reworked heating algorithm
- Drastically reduced power consumption, under half the voltage of the original 3Doodler
Sean Williams at NurtureMoney.com, an independent crowdfunding comparison service explains, "That a company as well established as 3Doodler chose to return to the Kickstarter community first, even though they were surrounded by retailers interested in stocking the brand new version of the pen in stores, says a lot about how the platform is evolving. The 3Doodler 2.0 has gone down in history as being the most successful hardware 'sequel' on Kickstarter, and opens up new possibilities for crowdfunding projects worldwide."
High-resolution screenshots, logos and headshots can be found here
To find out more about 3Doodler 2.0 please visit their Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1351910088/794945037?token=cc6fd8ff