AZUSA, Calif., April 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Does your mom like to garden? Would she enjoy pretty pots of flowers for her patio instead of a cut flower arrangement that won't last much beyond a week? This Mother's Day, think about stunning blooming plants that can be grown in the garden or in a container on the porch. Monrovia, the leading grower of premium garden plants, has some ideas for plants that mom will love:
- Hydrangeas are always a favorite, beloved for their big, colorful blooms. The hydrangea everyone is talking about this season is Blue Enchantress®. It has huge mophead flowers and interesting ruby-black stems. Best of all, it will bloom and re-bloom all summer long. As if hydrangeas were not fabulous enough…the new Golden Crane® is one of the few fragrant varieties. Big white and chartreuse lacecaps will fill Mom's garden with fragrance.
- Speaking of fragrance, who doesn't love the sweet, rich fragrance of gardenias? Mom will really appreciate gardenias that are grafted onto hardy rootstock, so they're less prone to disease and much easier to grow. First Love® has the largest flowers of any gardenia and the first to bloom each spring.
- Peonies are sure to be mom pleasers, especially Itoh peonies, which are a hybrid of the herbaceous and tree varieties; and claiming the best traits of each. They have an extended bloom season and disease resistance, plus available in an array of colors. When first developed more than 65 years ago, they were highly prized but very expensive. Thanks to modern breeding techniques, they are affordable gems for mom's garden. Misaka™ has peachy yellow blooms with dark red flares in the center. The lavender-pink Keiko™ has showy blooms that fade to soft pink.
- Peruvian lilies are a favorite in cut flower arrangements, so why not buy a plant or two so mom can cut her own flowers all summer? The new Inticancha® series were bred to have a compact, tidy shape and a profusion of large, colorful blooms that last all spring through summer. Roses are always a welcome gift – especially when they are Flower Carpet® groundcover roses. They are pest and disease resistant; require minimal pruning and no dead-heading. Mom will have a profusion of color the lasts all season long.
- Edible plants, like blueberry or raspberry shrubs, make nice gifts. They flower in the spring, fruit all summer and then have colorful foliage in the fall. Top performers and plants any mom would adore are Bountiful Blue® blueberry and Raspberry Shortcake™ raspberry. Or if mom likes to cook, give her an assortment of herbs like rosemary, thyme, lavender and sweet bay.
This year, forget the mall and head to your neighborhood garden center to get a beautiful flowering plant for mom – one that she'll be able to enjoy for months or years. While there, add to the gift with some nice gardening gloves, a design book for inspiration or perhaps a bird feeder to hang in her garden. Are you a last-minute shopper? Send her an eGift Card from Shop.Monrovia that she can redeem anytime for plants of her choice.
For more ideas for living Mother's Day gifts, visit www.monrovia.com
NOTE: High res images available
Background on Monrovia:
Founded in 1926, Monrovia is the leading grower of premium ornamental and edible plants, with more than 3,600 varieties, including more than 214 exclusives. Monrovia works with the world's best breeders to bring improved plants to the gardens of America and Canada. Its Distinctively Better® plants are nurtured by hand to produce healthy plants that flourish in the landscape. Monrovia's five environmentally responsible nurseries are located in Visalia and Venice Hills, Calif., Dayton, Ore., Cairo, Ga., and Granby, Conn. Monrovia plants can be purchased in-store or online with delivery to independent garden centers and through re-wholesalers nationwide. The company remains a family owned entity. www.monrovia.com www.shop.monrovia.com
Judy Lynes 310/752-4400 ext. 124