NEW YORK, March 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- While New Year's resolutions may be fading, the impending arrival of spring is a great time to get back into the habit of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. To help kick-start a plan, Muuna® shares five tips to eat better and stay healthy during National Nutrition Month. A fast-growing, innovative food company, Muuna has reimagined cottage cheese with a propriety recipe that is uniquely melt-in-your-mouth creamy, protein-packed, and packaged in single-serve cups in a variety of delicious fruit flavors to help consumers maintain a balanced diet from home, work or on the go.
According to Tina Haupert, a nationally recognized nutrition coach at Designed to Fit Nutrition and food expert behind Carrots 'N' Cake, "There's no diet that's right for everyone, so it's important to follow a healthful eating plan that's packed with tasty foods and that keeps your unique lifestyle in mind. This month is a further reminder that it's important to start making smart food choices today and every day. Cottage cheese is a food choice that works wonders for those trying to lose weight since it's low in calories and packed with satisfying protein."
Here are five easy tips to keep in mind this month when planning meals and snacks that can have an impact on your ongoing nutrition and dietary habits:
- Diversify Protein Sources – Meat is the most common source of protein for consumers, but variety and moderation are key to achieving a healthy lifestyle. Opting for alternatives rich in protein like nuts, seeds and beans provide a nice variety from the usual chicken, fish or steak. Dairy can be another excellent source of protein that can help keep you energized and full throughout the day. In fact, Muuna cottage cheese's 5.3-ounce fruit-flavored, single-serve cups pack 15 grams of protein per serving, and the Lowfat Plain 5.3-ounce cup contains 19 grams of protein.
- Read the Fine Print – Consumers' busy lifestyles can lead to nutrition labels often overlooked. It's important to stop and read the nutrition facts panel on snacks before purchasing. For example, according to Nielsen and Label Insight, there are 206 variations of high fructose corn syrup that manufacturers can list on a label, many of which consumers may not associate as an added sugar.[i] Muuna contains zero artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners and contains no high fructose corn syrup.
- Don't Skip Breakfast – While breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's also the most easily forgotten. To refuel and rev-up for an energetic day, plan a power breakfast that's high in protein to keep your hunger at bay. Muuna is an ideal option, with delicious pieces of premium fruit-on-the-bottom, including pineapple, blueberry, strawberry, mango, and peach. If you prefer plain cottage cheese, Muuna's Lowfat Plain single-serve cups are also an option for a healthful, on-the-go breakfast.
- Count Your Zzz's – According to The National Sleep Foundation, seven to nine hours is the recommended amount to achieve a good night's rest.[ii] Late nights lead to further cravings for junk food and bad eating habits, for example, foods such as dark chocolate, soda and wine will keep you up much longer, thus reducing your quality of sleep.
- Stop Eating Out – Social eating has become a staple in society. In moderation, this is not a problem; however, nothing beats a home-cooked meal. Take your favorite restaurant recipes and make them your own, so you can control how much oil, salt and sugar goes into your food.
"At Muuna, we embrace a fit and active lifestyle, and National Nutrition Month is a great time of year to make some quick and easy food swaps toward a more balanced diet," said Gail Balderson, director of marketing at Muuna. "Our line of six single-serve varieties—plain or with premium pieces of fruit on the bottom—makes it easy to eat better on the go, at home or in the office. Our lowfat and classic plain varieties can also be used as a delicious, creamy protein booster in everyday recipes such as pasta dishes, cheesecake bites or a spinach and artichoke dip. We invite consumers to compare Muuna to their favorite cottage cheese or Greek yogurt."
Muuna's 5.3-ounce, single-serve fruit varieties contain 130 calories, 15 grams of protein and 9-11 grams of sugar per serving. Its 5.3-ounce Lowfat Plain contains 120 calories, 19 grams of protein and 4 grams of sugar per serving. Muuna Lowfat Plain and Classic Plain are available in 16-ounce containers and each serving contains 14 grams of protein and 3 grams of sugar per serving. Visit muuna.com for specific nutrition and ingredient information.
Muuna® is on a mission to change the way consumers think about cottage cheese. With its proprietary recipe and unique, perfectly portioned cups, Muuna is reimagining cottage cheese. Delivering a melt-in-your-mouth creamy texture, Muuna is bringing excitement to the cottage cheese category with rich-in-protein, single-serve cups available in creamy Lowfat Plain and with delicious pieces of fruit on the bottom, including Strawberry, Blueberry, Pineapple, Peach and Mango. Muuna also offers multi-serve containers of Lowfat Plain and Classic Plain. For more information, visit www.muuna.com or join the conversation on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/muuna-shares-five-tips-for-a-healthier-lifestyle-during-national-nutrition-month-300419152.html